JUNE - JULY HATCH-ALONG!!!!!!!

Pics
Not sure what color it is, but the second keet hatched!!! I have video of it hatching but don’t have a YouTube account to upload there... anyone have a way to convert video to upload instead of linking to another site? This guy is spastic and cheeping up a storm!!! I think they really want mama guinea when they hatch!!!

Yay for keet #2! :wee I don't use YouTube either but I do have a public Facebook page for my chickens and that's how I uploaded a video. Unfortunately the direct video upload here doesn't seem to work at all.

IMG_0686.JPG

Yep, my giant Naked Neck rooster has sired over 20 babies so far. Some from my incubator, others from my broody. All have naked necks......lol

A friend of mine that keeps multiple roosters always gets chicks from one rooster in any particular batch, no matter how many hens she collects eggs from. Whichever rooster is dominant at the time is always the father to the chicks. Even though more than one rooster may be mating the hens I think they have a way to actually select which rooster fertilizes the egg...she was hatching all white chicks from her white roo and then all of a sudden when I hatched eggs from her they were all partridge! lol, I guess the other roo finally won over the ladies. :lau

Well... from my last candle, I thought I’d have a staggered hatch with two ready to hatch and four not as far along. So with two keets hatched, I figured that it would be a few days until the next hatched and I could remove this second keet from the incubator before leaving for work, which would be great for the Singleton cheeping like mad in the brooder. But, wrong again! That’s a guinea pip on the third egg! Sorry little Singleton, hang on a little longer before you get your siblings!!!

Attachments

• 143676BC-F1E5-4E8B-8AEE-30AC74AE0189.jpeg
    143676BC-F1E5-4E8B-8AEE-30AC74AE0189.jpeg
    365.4 KB · Views: 5
A friend of mine that keeps multiple roosters always gets chicks from one rooster in any particular batch, no matter how many hens she collects eggs from. Whichever rooster is dominant at the time is always the father to the chicks. Even though more than one rooster may be mating the hens I think they have a way to actually select which rooster fertilizes the egg...she was hatching all white chicks from her white roo and then all of a sudden when I hatched eggs from her they were all partridge! lol, I guess the other roo finally won over the ladies. :lau

The hens do choose actually! They can eject sperm from the roosters they don't want to father their chicks. Pretty neat discovery, as we assume since they get forcefully mated they don't have any power. But nature finds a way for both sexes to select the best genes.
https://www.livescience.com/15828-chickens-eject-sperm.html

Back
Top Bottom