JUNE - JULY HATCH-ALONG!!!!!!!

Pics
Are those the mottled Orpington babies? They’re still adorable, but bigger!!! You have the most picturesque and lush yard, and you are so lucky that you can free range so much! Thanks for sharing pics of your bigger babies!:love

Yes! That's them! The Mottled Orpingtons and the Frosted Legbar. Thank you! Gardening is one of my favorite hobbies outside of hatching chickens. Lol

I do t greonthem at present, but we tend to buy to many so I’ve given them to the chickens. Mostly, my chickens seem to think they are barely tolerable, if cooked, and inedible if raw!

Maybe they only like them fresh out of the dirt? Lol
I have some odd varieties and the Molokai Purple sweet potatoes are definitely their favorite.

Update:
I removed one of the birds from the tub(the taller one). Now it is just the baby and the slightly older duckling(that was born with the umbilical cord, remember?). They seem to be getting along better, but the slightly older one occasionally still snaps at the baby. I mean, they will rest together, but if the baby is near the face of the slightly older duckling it will snap at it. I just don't know if I should let them be and hope they get on better soon, or if I should keep separating for periods of time.

I think they'll work it out on their own. :) I've put ducks together different ages, there's always some bickering at first but they settle down. I would put something in their cage that the little one can hide behind if it gets too much for the little one. :)

OK. I'll just let them be. Funny thing it's the little baby that won't give the slightly older one any space at all. Even after the older one snaps at the baby, the baby runs just a tad away for a moment, and then goes right back to the older bird. If the baby cuddles away from the face of the bigger duckling everything is fine. Its just when it is right by the bigger duckling's head.

I counted 13 this morning, might have more now
IMG_1724.JPG

I even have a red one from the reverse cross, he or she is in the cage on the right. The ones outside of the cage are Dorking x (Dorking x Red Rangers) which is the better of the 2 crosses as far as selecting for the next generation. Inside the Cage is the reverse (Dorking x Red rangers) x Dorking. Those will have reds and maybe buffs as well as all the patterns in the previously mentioned cross. This is all theory though because I am going by that Chicken Pattern Calculator.

The late June Hatch:
IMG_1727.JPG

With the exception of 1 Ayam Cemani (to fill out an empty slot in the incubator) these are all Dorking x (Dorking x Red Rangers) I am noticing wide range of sizes. I may keep small females for egging. The ones breedind for the next generation will judged on pattern first (shooting for Columbian) and size 2nd. I still need to learn how to cull for meat birding, I watched a video where a guy showed where to measure the birds to know which one will have the best frame for holding meat. So there is more to it than just weighing them. I do not have a lot of culling experience so there is a steep learning curve for me here.

Early Junes Hatch:
IMG_1745.JPG

The door is opened on the integration brooder that is under the poop boards, This is by far the most ingenious idea I have ever run across on BYC. Putting a brooder under a poop bored for integrating chicks, its a space saver and you can have chicks become accustomed to the flock. Its been about 2 days now and they aren't coming out for very long, the older birds have gone in to check them out but I have yet to see any attacks. I took the brooder feeder out but kept the water in there, eventually the water comes out and they will be forced to leave the coop in search of water. One or 2 have left the coop but not to go far or stay out long.

OK. I'll just let them be. Funny thing it's the little baby that won't give the slightly older one any space at all. Even after the older one snaps at the baby, the baby runs just a tad away for a moment, and then goes right back to the older bird. If the baby cuddles away from the face of the bigger duckling everything is fine. Its just when it is right by the bigger duckling's head.
If the big one isn’t actually attacking the little one, then they’ve probably accepted each other and will work out any little skirmishes. Congrats again on your successful hatch!!!

Back
Top Bottom