Junglefowl question

toejam

Never enough birds
10 Years
Dec 21, 2009
SW Ohio, Wilmington
I have 2 questions actually...
I have 2 pairs of junglefowl, and they are bantam sized. Are they supposed to be bantam sized?
My main question is can you keep different types of junglefowl together, or will they interbreed? Any help is appriciated

ok, thanks aldren90. I thought they were supposed to be bantam, but they look so big in pictures. ANyone know for certain if they will interbreed?

Last edited:
yes they will 100% without question mix breed with each other.
They are really just a wild chicken, and you know how chickens are, any hen is fair game. Look at it this way, they are said to be the ancestors of all breeds of chickens, so , yep, they are pretty good at it.

what do you have, and what are you wanting.
Reason I ask is the grey and red are fairly cheap and easy to keep. The ceylon and green are very expensive and very demanding to keep and do require heated pens in hard winters with very little disturbance. They are very shy and flighty and pretty much just need to be penned and left alone to keep the stress levels low in them.

A lot more info too on their care, but if it's just the reds and greys theres no big requirements for them

Right now I have reds, but I was thinking about possibly getting grays, depending on how much they go for. MAybe someday get ceylons.

OK, now to try to find a gray breeder lol.
I figured ceylons were 300+. And I did read that greens are 500-600. I love them, but cant justify the costs of them. Plus, it can get cold in ohio. My reds got frostbite.

Back
Top Bottom