Junglefowl

Hey Tommy - don't suppose you have any pics of cockerels at about this age? I am dying to know if we've got boys or girls. One of each would be even better
smile.png
These are considered chickens, right?

Quote:
Cheraboo,

To be the MOST honest, even if they make the looks, its hard to classify them as "Junglefowl" since their source is unknown or "undocumented". See, the ones I have all have a source. Like the San Diego Zoo Red Junglefowl from the SD Zoo. The Vietnamese Junglefowl from an importer, etc. etc...

Nevertheless, if they have the features of the Junglefowl like the two main sickle feathers, short crows, dark legs, light weight, etc. then its very likely it has "Junglefowl" blood : )

You can e-mail me pictures or post them on here as they grow and I will further assist you. Hehe

Good luck!

- Tommy

They are more classed as pheasants that look like chickens. Though claimed to be the grandparents of modern chickens, genetically, they are closer to pheasants.

As for the green peafowl question, there are java, muticus muticus, burmeses muticus specifier, and indo chinese muticus imperator.
There are tons of pure ones around the states. The problem is a lot of the importers, start rumors to make their imports seem better than our state side birds. The birds being imported are mainly from Germany though, so who is to say they are pure? The only pure 100% positive imports would have to come from Asia where they are from in the wild, and that has now been outlawed by their local governments. As long as you are buying from reputable breeders, they are pretty much going to be pure to the breed, it's just a lot of the snotty, uppity, guys with these German imports wanting people to pay 3 times what they are worth when there is very little to no difference at all in the birds??

thumbsup.gif
!!!FINALLY!!!
thumbsup.gif

MY LONG WAIT IS WELL PAID OFF
woot.gif

They Grey Junglefowls are on their MERRY WAY!!!
wee.gif
celebrate.gif

Charles Hill's Adult Breeding Pair!!! Haha, I can't wait to see how wonderful they will turn out to be. Have never seen any pictures of his Grey's posted of his before but I'll be sure to try my best to get some up by Spring : )
yippiechickie.gif

They should be here by Wed : )

Its too bad this is my finals week so someone has to pick them up for me. : (

Anyways, I am so happy right now!
ya.gif

- Tommy

Quote:
Well now have to disagree on the peafowl. Myself I dont raise the greens. Lot of the greens that are sold in the states are high % spalding. Wolf gang has some pure and that is were most of these birds are imported from. Cost of importing birds is very high. Some of those guys are friends and can even pick out those imported birds from those raised here in the states.

I give them alot of credit for trying to keep some lines pure. Hard to find nice greens so many high % spalding here in the states.

Yes those birds should sell for 3 times more than the high % spalding, or the cross of the 3 greens even..

True true!
But as for those here in the states that DO have the pure's not hi spauldings, like my buddy Sid, (who also has imports as well).
Their birds shouldnt be knocked just because they are not ol wolfies birds. I've seen his from some friends with them, and U.S. birds side by side from highly reputable breeders, and honestly, there's just not that big of a difference to justify the outragious cost of them, just to have "German" Asian birds. Just my opinion at least...
Im very pleased with my ol U.S. muticus and imperators, the imps. being said by a friend to look as good as his imports..
Agian this is just my opinion on them, we all have one

Quote:
thumbsup.gif
Yes he and a few others do have greens as good as the imports. Guess you just have to know the seller... Cant go wrong getting birds from Sid.

Back
Top Bottom