just a few questions......first time chicken "mamma"

budrox1

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 25, 2014
southwest, virginia
we have 2 barred rock and 2 RIR they are 15 weeks old, the lady at the store told us we need to feed them purina start and grow until they lay their first egg (none yet )but they go thru so much and still seem hungry should we get them something else this time? what would you guys recommend? and can you tell little hens from rosters ?one of my barred rock babies has red ears is that just her/his uniqueness or something I should be concerned about? thanks in advance :) I know its a lot 1

Welcome to BYC!!!
Looks like you have all pullets. I feed my 16 week pullets Nature Wise chick starter/grower.
I also let them eat table scraps and weeds. I have no problem with them being hungry. Your girls look very friendly.
smile.png

Last edited:
IMO, food is food. If you switch the brand, they still will eat just as much. To me it looks like you have two barred rock pullets & two Rhode Island Red pullets (4 hen).

welcome-byc.gif

They are all pullets. Changing the brand of feed won't make them eat any less--chickens always eat throughout the day and seem hungry. At this age they should be eating a starter/grower, grower, or flock raiser feed. When they begin laying or at least reach 18 weeks of age, you can then start feeding them layer feed.

All of your chickens are pullets. The red "ears" on your Barred Rock are her earlobes- its a normal characteristic of the Plymouth Rock breed.

I wouldn't change the feed. They should be fine with what they are getting. Do they have feed available at all times?

we fill the feeder in the am and in the evening, they roam in the day for grass and bugs and they usually get a treat or two (tomato,noodles,rasins etc...) their voices are changing too my little fred sounds like a goose some mornings :)

Last edited:
awesome advice,ours free range,get feed morn and night,have watermelon to eat today,its hot and they are loving it
thumbsup.gif
,with all the bug's,grass,frog's,lizard's,well they eat almost anything,so they are getting good food everywhere they roam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom