just a few questions......first time chicken "mamma"

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by budrox1, Aug 25, 2014.

1. budrox1

budrox1 New Egg

Aug 25, 2014
    southwest, virginia
    we have 2 barred rock and 2 RIR they are 15 weeks old, the lady at the store told us we need to feed them purina start and grow until they lay their first egg (none yet )but they go thru so much and still seem hungry should we get them something else this time? what would you guys recommend? and can you tell little hens from rosters ?one of my barred rock babies has red ears is that just her/his uniqueness or something I should be concerned about? thanks in advance :) I know its a lot [​IMG] 1
    [​IMG] 2
    [​IMG] 3
    [​IMG] 4

2. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Welcome to BYC!!!
    Looks like you have all pullets. I feed my 16 week pullets Nature Wise chick starter/grower.
    I also let them eat table scraps and weeds. I have no problem with them being hungry. Your girls look very friendly.[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  3. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    IMO, food is food. If you switch the brand, they still will eat just as much. To me it looks like you have two barred rock pullets & two Rhode Island Red pullets (4 hen).

[​IMG]

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    They are all pullets. Changing the brand of feed won't make them eat any less--chickens always eat throughout the day and seem hungry. At this age they should be eating a starter/grower, grower, or flock raiser feed. When they begin laying or at least reach 18 weeks of age, you can then start feeding them layer feed.

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    All of your chickens are pullets. The red "ears" on your Barred Rock are her earlobes- its a normal characteristic of the Plymouth Rock breed.

I wouldn't change the feed. They should be fine with what they are getting. Do they have feed available at all times?

6. arkansas55

arkansas55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2014
    arkansas
    welcome,your girls are beautiful,they look happy and healthy[​IMG]

7. budrox1

budrox1 New Egg

Aug 25, 2014
    southwest, virginia
    we fill the feeder in the am and in the evening, they roam in the day for grass and bugs and they usually get a treat or two (tomato,noodles,rasins etc...) their voices are changing too my little fred sounds like a goose some mornings :)

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  8. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Yes, that's what chickens do! They love to forage for food as well. They are getting a nice well rounded meal by doing that.. :)

9. arkansas55

arkansas55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2014
    arkansas
    awesome advice,ours free range,get feed morn and night,have watermelon to eat today,its hot and they are loving it[​IMG],with all the bug's,grass,frog's,lizard's,well they eat almost anything,so they are getting good food everywhere they roam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by