Just bought BLRW...what to expect from offspring?

promiselandfarm5

Songster
13 Years
May 25, 2009
Rome, GA
I just purchased a pair of BLRWs at the local BYC swap. All I knew at the time was...they were beautiful. I did have enough sense to ask the man if their off spring would have more blue like the rooster (the pullet doesn't have hardly any blue)...he said yes. And I think he said they are 4 months old.

My question is... Will the offsping be blue or is there only a % of blue.

I had no idea what I was doing when I bought them, but either way they are beautiful.

The first pic is of the roo and the others are of the pullet.

Thanks for all the help BYCers.

232323232%7Ffp53677%3Enu%3D3343%3E879%3E89%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D3283%3C%3B%3A895337nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp536%3A5%3Enu%3D3343%3E879%3E89%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D3284333%3B78337nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp5368%3B%3Enu%3D3343%3E879%3E89%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D3283%3C%3B%3A894337nu0mrj

The cockerel is a Blue Laced Red cull, he has a single comb instead of a rosecomb so can't be called a Wyandotte. The pullets colour is called Buff Laced not Blue Laced Red.
Mating these together will give 50% Blue Laced & 50% Buff Laced.
If you can get a Black Laced Wyandotte male & mate him with your pullets you will get 100% Blue Laced Red Wyandottes.
David

Are you serious? The cockerel doesn't even have the right comb. Okay, I guess I need to be on a quest to find a Black Laced Wyandotte with a rosecomb. Are they easy to find?

Yes the rooster is a cull, but I have heard somewhere people use that type of comb in wyandottes to help with fertility. Personally I would get rid of him.

Also some call the pullets color buff laced, but it is actually a BLRW with Splash coloring.

Those two mated with produce. 50% Blue laced chicks, and 50% splash laced chicks.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

The single comb can throw rose combs when mated to a rose comb. If the pullets don't carry single comb than they should all come out rose comb. Many breeders keep some single comb birds to help ensure fertility. As the rose combs have issues sometimes.

He is a very light blue. You won't end up with the dark blue color. If you bred him to those girls you'll get 50% that are his color and 50% that are the girls color.

If you are in the GA area I can get you set up with some nice stock. I have some older chicks (about 4 months old) and some chicks that should be hatching in 20 days. Or I can get you set up with eggs. I won't be mailing any eggs till it cools down a bit. So probably September. But if your local you can pick up which should give you a better hatch rate than shipping them.

Just PM me if your interested.

Aren't there people who want the single comb for mating with orpingtions to create different orpington colors...might make someone a nice project bird...

that rooster looks like a pullet.

He is a young male.

The single comb can throw rose combs when mated to a rose comb. If the pullets don't carry single comb than they should all come out rose comb. Many breeders keep some single comb birds to help ensure fertility. As the rose combs have issues sometimes.

If the female(s) are heterozygous rose/non rose comb, if mated with that incorrect male, around 50% of their offspring would be culls from comb type alone.....what a waste of time.

Homozygous (pure) rose comb does have fertility issues. Shorter sperm life, reduced incidence of mating, less good sperm motility etc. Even so I've had perfectly good results from homozygous rose comb birds by just keeping fewer hens in with the males. Say a trio or quartet maybe.
If one uses heterozygous non rose comb offspring there will probably be a proportionally larger number of culls due to incorrect comb type than one would lose from the pleiotropic effects when using homozygous rose comb.​

When you mate splash with splash the blue color continues to become more washed out, so his blue is the darkest you're going to get. The roo has the better red color while the pullet has the more gold/brassy color that most of us try to cull out. They are definately someones culls and not what they wanted in their breeding program, but if all you are wanting is pretty chickens then you have that. I have one straight comb girl in my breeding flock and the only reason I've kept her is she has the nice dark red color and good lacing. I have culled the chicks (sold, not killed) that I have hatched from her that had straight combs because I don't want to continue that trait in my breeding flock.

Promiselandfarm5 I would do a bit of studying on this breed and color type. Wyandottes are a hard breed to work with and this color is even harder. It does not breed true, in other words you can not breed a BLRW to BLRW and get BLRW.

Body type on the chickens you got does not look right for the breed. I would suggest you get a copy of the Standard of Perfection so you know what a good Wyandotte looks like. There is a wyandotte yahoo group and one just for the BLRW also. Just do a dearch for them. Good Luck.

Back
Top Bottom