Just butchered some Got a Question

Quote:
Do you know of a link online that shows the canning process for chicken? I'd love to learn. I have a few books for canning veggies but none have instructions for meat.

I have a really great book called "Putting Food By," which is (in addition to the Ball Blue Book) my canning and preserving bible. There's not a lot of actual recipes but its completely stuffed full of technical information on canning just about everything safely. Also curing, smoking, salting, root cellaring, etc. Here's an amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Putting-Food-...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1275403648&sr=8-2

Canned chicken or other meat is wonderful for a quick meal, and I save my broth/stock whenever I roast, bake, or crock-pot a chicken. I usually freeze it in cottage cheese or sour cream containers. Then I can use it for quick soups, sauces, gravy, and recipes that call for broth or stock, like stuffing, and I use it for a chili sauce base when I make things like enchiladas. I don't know if there's a difference between "broth" and "stock", or if the terms are interchangeable.

To safely can meats, broth, or any other low-acid food, you MUST use a pressure canner. A water-bath canner is fine for tomatoes, most fruits, jellies, etc., but you gotta use a pressure canner for the other stuff, or you risk botulism.

Freezing is easier, but as another poster mentioned, you can lose it all in the event of a prolonged outage. We had an 11 day power outage winter before last. The freezers are out in an unheated building, and it was cold enough that everything was fine. When the weather warmed up above freezing, they got the power back on. One more day, we may have lost all of it. I do see a generator in my future, though. Just a small one, enough to run a couple hours a day to keep the freezers good.

Quote:
Do you know of a link online that shows the canning process for chicken? I'd love to learn. I have a few books for canning veggies but none have instructions for meat.

I don't know of a site specifically, but I am a member of www.canning2@yahoogroups.com

I taught myself to can and have learned a lot from this group as well. Tons of recipes and very nice group of people. I suggest it to anyone interested in canning, whether a novice or very experienced.
wink.png

welllllllllllllllllllllll--we dont eat the skin any more so as you can imagine I skin the bird firs--its like peeling a banana--cut off the head and feet and either open the skin on the back or breast and turn it inside out then cut around the vent a remove the guts--I split mine up the back boe with neck removed and break the breast bone--you can BBQ them whole this way or split them as well as quarter them -
Good luck

Back
Top Bottom