Just Candled - this is what I got

Urban Chaos

Songster
8 Years
Feb 9, 2011
Austin
Just candled my eggs. These were shipped and arrived in a badly damaged box. I'm serious, I've never had a package arrive in such awful shape - makes me wonder if writing "fragile" on it is PO code for "use as football". Thankfully the shipper had packed very well and only 2/14 were cracked. I hope the pics are ok, I was holding egg/flashlight in one hand and camera in the other. Its a balancing act.

Looks like a blood ring

79508_dsci0068.jpg

Looks like nothing

79508_dsci0069.jpg

This one has veining, but the lines are not clean - they kind of look like they are bleeding.

79508_dsci0071.jpg

I would just incubate them anyway. I candled eggs at 10 days and was sure I had eggs that were no good. I cracked a couple open for my own scientific (lol) knowledge.. and cracked open a 10 day old LIVE chick. It died right there on a paper plate in my kitchen. I won't take an egg out of the incubator again unless it is seeping. Hard lesson learned. I cried and cried.

I received a dozen eggs in the mail yesterday.. out of the dozen.. all 12 have detached air cells.. and 3 of the eggs look like they are scrambled...

makes me wonder if they do have some sort of sport/contest in the postal service where fragile packages are utilized...
this is a package I received a few months ago... I wonder who won....
fragile2.jpg

fragile1.jpg

Hard to tell from a still photo, but the first pic looks hopeful to me! Christie Rhae is right - don't be too quick to remove the ones you're not sure about. Evevy hatch I do I mark on the shells with a pencil the ones I think look great and the ones I really think look like they died in the shell. And every time I'm wrong about at least one egg!

Back
Top Bottom