Just Candled - this is what I got

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Urban Chaos, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Urban Chaos

Urban Chaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2011
    Just candled my eggs. These were shipped and arrived in a badly damaged box. I'm serious, I've never had a package arrive in such awful shape - makes me wonder if writing "fragile" on it is PO code for "use as football". Thankfully the shipper had packed very well and only 2/14 were cracked. I hope the pics are ok, I was holding egg/flashlight in one hand and camera in the other. Its a balancing act.

Looks like a blood ring

Looks like nothing

This one has veining, but the lines are not clean - they kind of look like they are bleeding.

2. DinosRBirds

DinosRBirds Hunted by Moonlight

Feb 1, 2011
    Lake Huron,MI
  3. Christie Rhae

Christie Rhae Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Big Island, Hawaii
    I would just incubate them anyway. I candled eggs at 10 days and was sure I had eggs that were no good. I cracked a couple open for my own scientific (lol) knowledge.. and cracked open a 10 day old LIVE chick. It died right there on a paper plate in my kitchen. I won't take an egg out of the incubator again unless it is seeping. Hard lesson learned. I cried and cried.
  4. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

I received a dozen eggs in the mail yesterday.. out of the dozen.. all 12 have detached air cells.. and 3 of the eggs look like they are scrambled...

makes me wonder if they do have some sort of sport/contest in the postal service where fragile packages are utilized...
    this is a package I received a few months ago... I wonder who won....
  5. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Hard to tell from a still photo, but the first pic looks hopeful to me! Christie Rhae is right - don't be too quick to remove the ones you're not sure about. Evevy hatch I do I mark on the shells with a pencil the ones I think look great and the ones I really think look like they died in the shell. And every time I'm wrong about at least one egg!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by