Just Clucking Around

I have found that it's not so much planning as it is knowledge. I have found that I procrastinate, so I try to do enough research to get me started and then I dive in.
That way I'm forcing myself to commit.
Besides if you're already tending to that many chickens you already know everything you need to.
I really wish the mobile app had emoticons, cause I'd like to use them.

I was thinking about chickens for years before I got them. Didn't know how to make everything "just right." Planned longer about getting chickens than we planned for our children! (Well, technically we didn't plan those.) One day I just stopped at the feed store & got 4 chicks. Surprised my hubby, that's for sure!

Then I drove to my friend's house to borrow a heat lamp, feeder, etc. Got home & set up a brooder. Told hubby we had a few weeks to light the fire under us & get a pen built.

During those weeks I went on a mission trip to Nicaragua. Saw chickens roaming free & surviving. Living in a little lean-to & surviving. Hanging out in the yard & surviving. You get the idea.

so when I got home I felt like all the pressure was off. There is no "perfect." Start somewhere & change what doesn't work as you go along. They're pretty resiliant. And if they don't make it, learn from your mistakes. They're also pretty cheap. Or should I say cheep?

I definitely agree...
They are pretty cheep. But just like everything else they can be expensive if you want them to be. It all depends on what your limits are.
Although compared to the spouses previous hobbies this has by far been the cheepest.

Sorry Sepaditty1 I liked your word so much that I decided to use it myself! LOL

A roost question. I know I can ask this is a different thread, but I figured we are already here, right? I need to add some roosts in my coop. Since I am a cheapskate, my options are (because the are free) 1"x1" square wood or 1" outside diameter PVC. I may be able to add two of the square wood 1x1's together if ya'll think that's best.

What do you think?

A roost question. I know I can ask this is a different thread, but I figured we are already here, right? I need to add some roosts in my coop. Since I am a cheapskate, my options are (because the are free) 1"x1" square wood or 1" outside diameter PVC. I may be able to add two of the square wood 1x1's together if ya'll think that's best.

What do you think?

I personally would use one 1x1 as the roost. And use the other one for supports. Depending on the length. Or there may be a sag when you get chickens on it.

As far as the PVC. I wouldn't use it because when it gets moist it would be slippery. ANC if it's slippery they won't get on it.

You can combine the 1x1's to make a 2x2. But before I started cutting and screwing if do a weight test. Hang something from it to see how it holds up.

Ooooooo. He's got the soldier stance of a little roo?

I know usually people get a Roo for the free chick. However this one was a girl when I performed the sexing tests. I will say though that this little bugger is my standoffish one. And seems to be either the leader or the bully, haven't decided on that one yet.

In my (limited) experience, the leader/bully/outgoing ones are roos.

As for roosts. I get sticks that have fallen after storms & rig them up. My birds actually sleep in the trees, but during the day they like to perch on sticks wherever I prop them up. One is also a broken broom handle. They're not picky. But PVC is probably too slick, like mentioned already.

Back
Top Bottom