Just found a baby duckling...what to do?

agentzoey

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 21, 2009
Oregon
We saw the baby duckling crossing a busy street of course...looked forever for the family or a family and no luck. Since we are raising chickens of all ages (some hatching soon) I thought I might be able to raise it...Audubon society says find it a family of ducks...but I've seen mother ducks peck others' ducklings to death. SOoo, anyone have any advice? What will it need when it's a grown duck? A pond? A friend? Any help is appreciated. I want to do what's best for it - I know I'm a sap.

Initially, heat lamp, brooder, feeder, game starter (i think that's what it is called), something for a brooder.

Forgot waterer.

Last edited:
FOR NOW TREAT IT LIKE A CHICK WITH A BROODER, HEAT LAMP AND THE LIKE, YOU CAN GIVE IT STARTER FOOD BUT not MEDICATED!!! OPPS sorry my caps were still on from my other post.

It needs enough water to be able to completly "dunk" its beak in. I use chic starter with ours, and a heat source. we keep our new hatch ones with the chics If they hatch at the same time . Since yours is older I would keep it by its self . Good Luck !!@ And by the way they are VERY MESSY !!!!!!

Oooh, messy like poop messy? Is it ok to eventually have them in the chicken coop with the chickens? Will it fly away? I'm so clueless
big_smile.png

So, no medicated food, darn that's all I have right now.

And don't put them with the new chicks next week? Not close enough in age?

Thank you everyone!
big_smile.png

Ducks, from what I've read, do not have much control over their picky sphincter. As for food, maybe it would like some scrambled eggs and oatmeal.

So now I just read that wood shavings is not good bedding? So I guess I'm going to be putting towels in the little box until I can get some hay. Going to soak some layer crumbles and see if he/she likes it. We'll see...TBC

Back
Top Bottom