Just found Silky ducks on CL!!

Mind giving me a link? I cant navigate Ebay
barnie.gif

I picked up one pet quality silky and a black East Indie, from Holderread Farms about a week ago. Both are drakes as I'm not looking to breed. I have them housed with my two silky chickens rather than with the 'big' ducks. They are pretty comparably sized with the silky chickens and they are doing quite well together. I sometimes even catch them all napping together which surprised me.

I'll try to get pictures up by the end of today. The "pet" quality isn't as silky as some, but they are cute never-the-less.

I hope you like your Silky's.
I bought an exhibition pair from Holderread's last year in black.
As far as the duck goes, I like them very much. I do have to say that I was somewhat disappointed in the color. While they are black for the most part, they have brown feathers throughout their wings and I was told, this is normal.
Someone asked if they were bantam and to my knowledge, that is the only size they come in, unless they have been cross bred into a larger species of duck.
My duck is a good broody mom, but she made her nest outside of the barn before I could find it. She had about 8 eggs in it and I decided to take them in and incubate them as I was afraid to leave her outdoors for fear of her being killed by a predator.
As someone else mentioned about the hatch, I had a terrible time. Actually, while they were all fertile, none of them hatched. One did pip the shell and died in the process. All the others were DIS. I treated them as I did my other ducks eggs, but obviously I did something wrong.
They are pleasant ducks and my drake is more "in love" with a large Saxony duck, rather than his own mate.
They are waterproof and can swim and take the rain. They are not "silky" like a Silkie Chicken would be, but do have somewhat fluffy feathers.
Good luck with yours!

the link I posted on the first page: http://www.featheracres.com/Silky Ducks.htm has pictures of them. And yes they are waterproof. Mine spend almost all day in the pond, and first thing in the morning they won't let anyone else in until they have thoroughly bathed. They are also EXCELLENT bug catchers and foragers. My female squats with her head straight out and catches gnats, mosquitos, and every other little bug I can barely see. In the morning after their first swim I take everyone down to the back of the property to forage and graze. SLUG KILLERS YAY!

Quote:
I used to check that website all the time, looking to see if there were any new pictures!
big_smile.png

I haven't been on there in years - those "Blue Fawn" girls are gorgeous
droolin.gif

Quote:
I used to check that website all the time, looking to see if there were any new pictures!
big_smile.png

I haven't been on there in years - those "Blue Fawn" girls are gorgeous
droolin.gif

yes they are!

they say they have silky eggs for sale and I was thinking about giving them a call. not sure how they can have them this late in the season...

Back
Top Bottom