Just got back from a visit to the ER

rooster-red

Here comes the Rooster
12 Years
Jun 10, 2007
Douglasville GA
I have a very sweet , friendly & curious barred rock pullet that loves to fly up onto my shoulder and ride around there while I do chores in the runs, she is well mannered and never poops on me so I've never discouraged the behavior...

Well, this evening she did her usual thing, and when I happened to turn my head in her direction she saw something that must have looked tastey... in my eye.

She pecked me in the cornea, giving it a nice scratch.

I set her down and walked to the house to flush it out, and she followed me every step of the way, just as sweet as always.

The pain kept increasing to the point I knew I'd have to have medical attention, so off I went to the ER, and will have to follow up with the eye doctor tomorrow.

I felt that I should share my experience so that others can avoid a painful injury.

Oh, did I mention that a cornea scratch is painful?

I don't blame the pullet for my stupid mistake, and she will still be welcome to perch on my shoulder, but next time I will be wearing eye protection.

Did I mention it is hard to post with one eye closed?

th.gif
How did you manage to drive yourself to the ER!?

Ouch! Your last line made me laugh, cause I am sitting here with a warm wash cloth over one eye for a painful sty on my eyelid. And yes, reading a forum is also difficult with one eye.

Kittens are also attracted to eyes- blinking eyelids are fun to try to catch!

I hope your eye heals quickly. I guess you'll have to wear special safety glasses just for visiting the chickens!

Elizabeth

I was half expecting a story about a run in with a family of opossums!

My daughter was slightly pecked in the eye by a curious chick. Seeing and feeling the vigor with which the adults go after chicken scratch makes me shiver to think one went after your eyeball!

Yeah, Cornea scratches STINK! I have had a couple over my years and years of wearing contacts. I do try to keep my loving chickens away from my eyes too.
Hope it gets better soon. I bet the Eye Dr gives you some drops that make it feel better, an eye patch is a likely possibility too.

Yes! I do know how painful a scratched cornea is! I feel for you. Did you get an eye patch? I had to wear one for a few days. It happened so long ago, but you brought all that pain back! Hope you feel better soon!

Rooster-Red, thanks for bringing this up. Chickens do love to investigate shiny interesting objects. And unfortunately, they investigate with their sharp beaks.

Hope your eye calms down soon.

Back
Top Bottom