1. incubatingisfun

incubatingisfun Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    My neighbor gave me 4 zebra finches a couple days ago she said they are 8 years old wich is the end of there life span right?wih means they are problably to old to breed?Hoping to post some pics later so I can get some help identifying what color they are.I really like them and am hoping on getting more!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Put them in a large flight cage, provide some nests and they may surprise you this spring. good luck.

1 person likes this.
  3. incubatingisfun

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    Thanks how big should the flight cage be? me and my dad are going to build them a cage soon so it can be any dimensions we want.There is one male and three females is that a bad ratio when breedign season comes around should I seperate just one of the females and a male?

4. bemba

bemba Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Mary Valley QLD.
    get 2 more males perhaps? they pair off and share incubation and feeding of the chicks.

5. incubatingisfun

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    I looked closer a couple days ago and found out there is two males.They have started building nest hoping for eggs soon!

6. tick22

tick22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2012
    Vanceboro, NC
    We have had Finches for over 20 years. We have 16 zebra Finches and 4 Society Finches. if you are building a cage, remember they need more room to fly side ways or across than up and down. Don't know why store birds cages are built taller than wider. Finches fly sideways. If you are building a cage, you will need a way to add stuff inside, like more nest, maybe food and water dishes and branches, perches etc. I would have openings where the food is to be, side ones for reaching in for the nest or perches. You can look online to see the different custom cages and take it from there. again, make it wider than tall.

We house both types together, but some breeds don't mix. Zebra finches are the most common with the males having an Orange spot on the side of their faces while females are all Grey or a solid color. I would figure out the sexes and get enough birds to even out the pairs. Yes, even that old they can breed. Not often but still can... We went years before any of our Finches hatched any eggs, (THEY LAID A TON OF EGGS BUT NEVER SAT ON THEM) then that one summer/winter we got 12 more out of 4 batches.. They seem to breed when there is more room. We got them a much wider cage that year, 32w X 16h. HAVE SINCE GOTTEN A BIGGER cage 36h x 52w.
    Like wild birds, the males build the nest trying a land a female. once she likes the nest, they become a pair. Before that, she will check out the nest, throw stuff out of it and let the male try again. I use those whole finch nests, even thought my birds have use the half nest, they never had any hatch in a half nest... Good luck, they are fun to watch and be around.
    I got chickens outside and Finches inside.

sorry this is long winded... hope I helped...

1 person likes this.
  7. incubatingisfun

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    Thanks! I will tell my dad when we build it to make it wide.The one pair is continuing to build there nest but the other pair keeps throwing nesting material in a corner where it just falls down not sure why they are doing this since there is two nest for them.

8. tick22

Nov 5, 2012
    Vanceboro, NC
    as I said before, if the female does not like how the nest is coming, she will throw the stuff out she does not like. and maybe the male is feeling, "This is not worth it" laughs..
    or a funny way to think about it is..
    You buy your girl a house with all new stuff in it. She looks at it and loves the house but hates everything in it except for the monster big screen TV. She then throws everything out the door and gives you the look of, you better buy me what I want or else... You try again and this time only some stuff is thrown out. Finally after 3 months and you are now bald, she likes the way you did it.
    Now she is ready to settle down with you and maybe lay some eggs...

Now that is how a female Finch is. The other pair, the male did something right or she was not that picky...

Don't worry, I have had Finches sleeping on perches or nest tops for a couple of months til they moved inside a nest. It took the long for the female to be satisfied...

are they sleeping together???? side by side yet????

9. incubatingisfun

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    Hahahahaha [​IMG] I like you explanation! Yeah the one pair has been sleeping side by side does that mean they are getting closer to laying?

10. tick22

Nov 5, 2012
    Vanceboro, NC
    it means,
    she has accepted him as a possible mate. (really she has no choice since he is the only male there not taken, laughs) He can close the deal when he finally builds her a nest she will sleep in and let him sleep in it. When the nest meets approval, she may still not let him in, just yet. Then, maybe eggs.... remember, you can learn alot about human females by watching your finches. snickers...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by