Just got our First Budgie!

wbruder17

Songster
9 Years
Jun 7, 2010
Portland, OR
I named him Gus. My dh named him Gustav Seymore Butz. He is a very young standard green budgie and after 2 days in our home, is showing great potential to be a super cool dude! Very excited to add him to our home! He is not even all that scared of the dogs..... who wouldn't hurt a flea, to be honest. The dogs roam with day old chicks and don't botther them other than to eat their poop!

Congrats!
clap.gif
celebrate.gif

Congrats!
smile.png
I just got my very first budgie two days ago. He is super sweet!

We have had our littlun for almost 2 weeks, and he/she is very cautious. Not very "friendlyy" but not super scared either. I think we are going to need to put a LOT of time and patience into ours,

What does yours do that is super sweet? And how old is it? We are very worried that ours will never be super sweet or outgoing.

I am home all day and spend ALOT of time with him. When I do leave for a bit and come home I'll say, "Do you want to come see Mommy?" and he'll jump on his perch in excitement. Yesterday when I got him out he jumped up onto my shoulder and started rubbing his little head on my neck. For the first couple of days that we had him I would just sit in front of his cage and sweet talk him. :)

I will say that mine might have been easier because I bought him from a place where they hand fed all of their babies and he was quite tame when I got him. Since your little one doesn't seem too scared of you, I bet he'll/she'll come around! :)

Oh, I forgot to add that he was born on October 15th, so he's about three months.

Last edited:
Congrats!

My handfed cockatiel is super sweet and loves human attention. My parent raised parakeets though, take a good amount of time to come around. My 3 year old female that I've had for about 3 years is still getting more and more friendly with time. She is not an only bird though, so that probably slows down her appreciation of humans. LOL Took about 3 months to get her to stand on my finger without flying off.

ETA: She still only comes to humans if you have something she wants like a treat, else, she couldn't care less about the bipeds.

Last edited:
Well, we got him out of the cage and managed to clip his wings, which has instantly made him a bit easier. He was constantly flying away from us in the cage, but we made him sit on top of the cage for a while, to get him out of his comfort zone. After that, we made him sit on our fingers before putting him back in. His cage. It will take a lot of time, I'm sure, but I think he will come around eventually. We have a very "busy" household and he will just need to get used to it, I guess. We talk and whistle to him all the time.

Back
Top Bottom