Just got the crud scared out of me.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Attack Chicken, May 11, 2009.

1. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I went out to close up my chicks to their house and I heard something rustle the leaves behind the coop. It was dark outside except for the back porch light. I was is the run closing the pop door when it happend. I felt a cold chill run down my back lol. I hurried up and closed the door and locked the run and hurried back to the house. I'm not a scaredy cat but that just totally freaked me out.... I haven't seen any coons since last year. There has been a mother cat moving from yard to yard with her babies but this sounded different. I want to set the live trap but I don't want to catch the mother cat. What bait is best for coons AND possums?That a cat won't eat.

2. swedishfish

swedishfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    my brother used to use hot cocoa mix that came in packets...I think mint....idk! we don't have possums in Utah though.

3. giasmom

giasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    What bait is best for coons AND possums?That a cat won't eat.

I dunno, maybe a chicken ? JK, just kidding, I'm not sure what you could use, However our coons around here seem to like our left over corn on the cob.

4. danielbrown

danielbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Spartanburg, sc
    sweet things like marsh mellows, and cookies.
    coons and possums love these, but cats not so much.

5. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Whole raw eggs in the shell. Happy hunting.

6. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    I do alot of trapping, and I use marshmallows and maple syrup. Tasty snacks for coons and oppossums! Not so much for kitties!

7. LilbitChicken

LilbitChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    ANYTHING sweet/sugary .... the marshmallows are a good one... my Uncle get Raccoons (Colorado), we don't in AZ! So he is always having to deal with them![​IMG]

8. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    When you get the willies like that, it usually is something that won't fit into an animal trap. Put your birds up before dark. If you have to go out there again, have someone waiting for you at the back door watching.

Sadly, we have to tote a pistol with us to take garbage to the alley after dark.

The worse predators are the two legged ones.

Rufus

9. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Peanut Butter on Bread

10. badnfluinz

badnfluinz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Viola, Illinois
    Quote:Where do you live? Thats crazy! I dont even lock my doors and leave the keys in my truck at night, even at the store the keys are still hanging in the ignition. I actually dont know if the keys will come out anymore.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by