Just hatched silkie seems to be sleepy all the time

anbsmom

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 15, 2012
Western North Carolina
I had a suprize hatch last night at about 3 AM. One of my last two eggs in the incubator pipped. I could see it was having difficulty as it was gasping for air. I chipped a little bit of the shell away and his head was starting to shrink wrap. The membrane hadn't got hard yet, but it was definitely beginning to stick. I removed this from the chicks head. After that I chipped a little more shell and membrane away. I hit a vessel and put it back in the bator. Then the chick rolled out of the egg. It was not connected at all. All of the yolk was absorbed. 6 hours later the little guy seems to want to sleep all the time. His breathing is slightly rapid and it seems that whatever he does requires a lot of energy. He can walk. I put him in the brooder, but in a seperate box so he can stay warm. I thought that if he heard the other chicks cherping that it might help. Any advice or speculation on this little one? I'm really worried as the other chicks were able to really move around at 6 hours old.

He may simply be exhausted from the hatching process - in which case he should perk up in the next several hours or he may just be a weak chick in which case the prognosis is not as positive. You are doing all the right things. If you have electrolytes, try getting the chick to take some.

Put him back! I'm pretty sure he's to young to leave the bator. I've always been told to leave them in there the first couple days and when my sisters class did a group hatch the farmer told them the same. Also, if you had just born a newborn human baby six hours ago would you expect it to be awake all the time? It's hard work being born. Also you probably shouldn't help chicks hatch, if they aren't strong enought to do that it's very likely they aren't strong enough to survive. sad, I know.

Well, the poor little guy passed away. I remember even before I helped it out of the shell that it has a raspy little cheep. I guess he was just a weak little one.
sad.png

Sorry to hear about your loss.You did what you thought best for the little one. Sometimes nature just doesn't intend for all to make it.

Back
Top Bottom