Just how smart are raccoons when it comes to coop design?

rhemerick

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 18, 2013
How smart are Raccoons at getting into the latch doors of a coop? We are planning on putting barrel bolts (like in some restroom stalls), but after seeing so many people talk about how crafty some raccoons are at getting into the coop I'm not sure how to keep them out. We will have a total of 4 entry places in the coop and run: 1.) large hinged drop down side to clean out the coop (approx. 36" square), 2.) small hinged drop down door to collect eggs, 3.) 1 bottom of coop ramp that leads them out of the coop into the run below, 4.) 1 door to let them out of the run and into the yard to forage (approx. 40" square). What are your suggestions for latches that are easy for me and the kids to get into, but would also keep the raccoons out?

I have many types of latches on my coops. Never have raccoon opened them. I'm sure a crafty one could but it has never happened to me. Now I did have a raccoon destroy 1/4" plywood. He splintered it and ripped it apart. It was good plywood to. Not only are they craft but they are also strong. Use a latch that requires at least 2 motions to open it.

Any type of slide or lift latch can be manipulated by an agile raccoon. As the latch above shows, a carabeener type clip is pretty fool proof; Yet, believe it or not..... I have this same setup on our run door and our goats have actually manipulated the clips in their mouth (it destroys the clip) and opened the latch! I have a latch up high and a latch down below on all my doors and that is pretty fool proof.

Last edited:
I have racoons in the creek behind the house, but they haven't really bothered my birds. The only exception was a big male that was very boney, killed a rooster I had in growout rabbit cages, and it was fall right after the first frost. I think it was a desprate attempt to get food before winter. He pulled the roos head through the rabbit feeder hole, didn't try to open the little simple swing latch. I caught him in a live trap the following night and took him to the river.

Back
Top Bottom