Just installed a pinless peeper on my Silkie hen & I have concerns.

JLS

Love my feathered babies!
13 Years
May 29, 2009
Maine
My Coop
My Coop
Note: I first posted this in the chicken behavioe and egg laying section. I was not getting any response so I think I put it in the wrong section
hmm.png

I put on a pinless peeper on my Silkie hen this afternoon because she is a feather plucker/eater. This is my last hope. I love her dearly so I dont want to get rid of her but I dont want bare-bottomed chickens either.

I noticed that the peeper fills her nostrils. The "skin" on the top of the nostril was pushed in when the peeper was installed. Is that normal? Also she is opening her mouth frequently simular to yawning. Is this normal? She doesn't appear to be in pain. She never sqwacked, she is eating and drinking. Please let me know if you have experience with this device

Thank you!

She doesn't appear to be yawning anymore. I also applied a peeper to one of the pullets that my Silkie fostered. She learned feather eating from my Silkie
sad.png
The pullet is an EE so she's a lot bigger than the Silkie therefore her nostrils are not filled by the peeper like the Silkies' is. I keep telling myself that the peepers are usually used for small game birds. But I am still very worried. Can anyone ease my mind?

Sorry I don't have an answer for you, but I'd also be interested to hear what other folks say. I need to put peepers on my feather-plucking girl who now seems immune to the taste of various anti-pick lotions, but am nervous about messing with her nostrils.

Back
Top Bottom