pinless peepers in freezing temps?

Dhkoenig

Songster
Sep 21, 2020
Bergen County New Jersey
I have used piness peepers with luck before on my bully hens. Now I have a cockerel who is going after one of my weaker hens and bloodying up her comb a bit. I would love to put pinless peepers on him too because he is terrorizing the ladies and I have no way of really separating them I only have enough electricity for my water heater, my cameras and a heat pad. It has been in teens to zero several times this winter. Today is 25. is it too harsh to put pinless peepers on them when it is super cold?

I have used piness peepers with luck before on my bully hens. Now I have a cockerel who is going after one of my weaker hens and bloodying up her comb a bit. I would love to put pinless peepers on him too because he is terrorizing the ladies and I have no way of really separating them I only have enough electricity for my water heater, my cameras and a heat pad. It has been in teens to zero several times this winter. Today is 25. is it too harsh to put pinless peepers on them when it is super cold?
Why would it be harsh? I have one hen who has had pinless peepers on for over six months. Every time I try to take them off, she starts her crap again. As long as she keeps laying good, the peepers stay on and she stays alive. If you want to, you can soak the pinless peepers in warm water for a little bit, to loosen the plastic and make it easier to put on. Just make sure the bird can find food and water after he's wearing them

Always solve for peace in the flock, and with your explanation, the pin-less peepers are going to be the only way:
  • leave as is - pullet terrorized
  • add the peepers - rooster gets to live
  • cull the rooster
are really your only options.

Mrs K

Always solve for peace in the flock, and with your explanation, the pin-less peepers are going to be the only way:
  • leave as is - pullet terrorized
  • add the peepers - rooster gets to live
  • cull the rooster
are really your only options.

Mrs K
very wise words. I guess my reason for asking the question with regard to winter is that I would think in the single digits and teens, would the plastic get really cold and harm him? I do see your point tho - what are my options so I may have to risk that. I certainly don't want to cull him because he is rather indifferent in any other circumstance. Just when he wants to "hook up" LOL

Back
Top Bottom