Just lost my first chicken...

WindcrestChickens

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 11, 2008
New Hampshire
I posted earlier today about a sick chicken...Well she just slipped away. She hadn't eaten all day today and I just checked on her and she was gone.

We have 2 feet of snow on the ground...What should I do with her?

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that.

It is so sad to loose a chicken especially after caring for them for so long. I still think about the first chicken I lost and still miss her.

They are so sweet and special all in their own little way. I might wrap her up in a box and place her outside in a safe place until the ground thaws. The cold will preserve her until she can be buried.
hugs.gif

awww, so sorry
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

Do you know why she died ??

I don't think I would put her in the woods to let anything eat her unless you know why she died and only if it was from being old !!
Wouldnt want to pass anything around !!

We put ours in a few trash bags and take them to the dump, we have dogs so putting them in the ground is not a option.

Now I'm a little concerned because she was only 8 months old. What is the average life span?

I think she may have been the same chick who got pasted vents as a baby...if it is the same hen, she was always a little slow on the uptake and seemed to not thrive like the others.

Hmmmm

Quote:
I agree, and have another reason not to put the remains out in the woods: It could attract predators to your property, where they will quickly realize there are also live chickens at hand.

You really don't want that, either, I'm sure.

So sorry you lost your hen, it happens now and then.

Well my one and only rooster died last night and I debated with what to do also and I finally decided that the dumpster was the best way to go. I use all of my freezer space so that wasn't an option and the ground is frozen so the only other choice is the dumpster. Yes I do feel bad but what other choice was I left with?

Back
Top Bottom