Just my ducks? Or are they all a lil slow lol

Beccazon

Crowing
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan Thumb
With my terrorizing roosters now gone and one good flock rooster with my flock, I am finally able to let my ducks have free range time. Sooo...
Yesterday I let them out with the chickens. I just opened their back fence. All but the Pekins came out eventually. But I put them back shortly thereafter as my Pride seems unaware that these duck ladies are not chicken ladies:lau and I don't need THAT kinda issues! Took walking them along the fence as they poked their heads through every...EVERY...fence hole!:he

Today I let just the ducks out first. I spent half my time just watching them go to the opening and stand there and then run back to the pool, wander back to the opening and edge closer, and run back to the pool (opposite end of the run) repeatedly. The runners even peeking over the imaginary 6" wall to assess the "outdoors". :oops:

FINALLY, one stepped through...to the great unknown...and they all went runnin'!:eek::wee:celebrate
In a herd, for 6 feet. Then ran for another 6 feet. And again. Until in the extra green lush grass from me throwing the pool water out every few days. Aaaaand...
GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE! :ya

Time to go back in...
Holy moses that took 15 minutes and they were not 20 feet from the open gate! I got them TO the opening. They stood there. :rolleyes: I stepped closer to guide them in...they turned toward me and ran past me!:barnie
Anyhow, once I got the first one's beak past the invisible firing squad, they all were like, "well look! Bob got through alive!" and they all ran in.

Phew! Adventures in duck learning!:confused:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom