just read our by laws and I need an indoor sleep area:)

dntd

Songster
10 Years
Dec 4, 2009
Ok last night I re read our cities by lasw and it says no animals that reside outside the house. I was thinking as long as we have a fake sleep area, like a crate and claim that they come inside at night thus showing that the do live inside but allowed the go outside in the run and coop during the day. Do you think dog crates or xlarge rubbermaid containers would fool them? I can have them permanatly set up in the basement just in casechickens are legal though:) I plan on putting then in thier coop at night before 8 not releasing them until atleast 8 or 9. So worried yet I know the by law enforces stop working at 4:30grr

Could an indoor sleep area possibly mean a coop or other structure for nighttime? Sounds a little vague and confusing to me...

Hmm...do any of your neighbors have dog houses outside? Sounds like a weird rule to me. Is your coop close enough to your house that you could make them look connected?

I actually did bring my hen inside every night in a rubbermaid for a while when i was having predator problems.

I just has to look like I'm bringing them in the rules for a stucture is 10 meter square with out needing a permit, I have chickens living in my basement now but they are bantoms, I just need an area I can prove I take them in, just in case. I hate our city ,it has odd bylaws! We have a crawlspace under our addition that could hook up fron the outside but that would open an area that mice and rats could enter. Our local humane sociey could care less about animals outside and I think that's who they send out in the long run to inspect the animals..I figure if they care so much about upholding the law then they should do somthing more about the crimes,our city is getting worse! I'm just worried as the guys next door keep having the by law inspectors and police over.20 dogs in a house is way too much!

What breed of chickens do you have? Some of my silkies sleep in a dog carrier on the porch where I lock them up every night for protection. A couple of them wear diapers and live in the house. If they are not silkies, then they may prefer to perch and you can usually fit a 1x3 perch in a dog carrier about halfway up. Or if you have a garage maybe you could fix a small area for the chickens to sleep.

Right now I have 4 bantoms and soon getting 8 ply rock. I have a big enough cage for the bantoms in the basement the 8 regular size chicken I'll need to fit somewhere. some could share the bantoms just as long as I'm only pretending to use it;), we do have another large dog crate that could fit 3-4 regular size I'm wondering If I should just build a box.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom