Just some dumb questions.

I think your chicks are telling you that they do not have enough room in that set up. And that could mean that you will get another grizzly surprise shortly. What is enough room when they are brand new, is not enough room very quickly as each bird grows. As your birds continue to grow, this problem will continue to get worse, and it can be an ungly behavior to break, even when they get down to a better number.

Your moving the pen will not help. It is a space issue. If you take a look, you will see, that all of your chicks are together all of the time. There is no place to get out of sight of each other in that set up. A very temporary fix, would be to add some hideouts, and platforms, high enough chicks can get under, or on top of. Hideouts, where a chick can slip out of sight and therefore out of mind. A cardboard box 18" tall in the middle would help. Put an extra feed station behind it.

However, this is a very small time fix. You need to either move them to a much larger set up. At full size those birds will need at least 120 sq feet - so 10 feet by 12 feet coop, and a 300 square foot run. These chicks need to be in something approaching that very soon.

Do not think that occasionally letting them out for exercise, will help. It won't. They are not like a dog, that needs exercise and then will sleep. Instead, they need space where they can have a successful society.

If you can't provide that big of shelter, you probably need to sell chicks. Easily you could get $15 per chick as they are nearly point of lay. The set up you currently have is good for about 8 chickens.

I am no expert on Buff Rocks, but those look like production reds to me. I could be wrong on this.

Mrs K

These chicks are around 8 weeks and they have just been moved to a new pen around a week ago, I'm worried it was from boredom? That chick was healthy and fat yesterday and I didn't see any injuries last-night when I fed them.

An injury may have occurred overnight. I had a chick that injured itself one night and by the next morning the other chicks were in the middle of eating it. I only know for sure it was an accidental injury as the chick had caught a toe in a gap in the coop and torn itself up trying to break loose - the toe was still stuck fast when we made the discovery.

Back
Top Bottom