Just subscribed here

Ronikm

In the Brooder
May 1, 2016
T I j e r a s , New Mexico
Hi all.. greetings from Tijeras, New Mexico... we have purchased 13 chick very recently. Six Buff Orpingtons, two Brown Leghorns are six weeks old, and two Mottled Java's and three Speckled Sussex are 5 weeks old. It snowed today and am glad I still have both batches in their warm boxes in the house. Hubby has finished the basics of the "Coop Da Ville" and it's in the garage. He will add insulation and outside paneling and roof this week. Eight by four feet, 7 nesting boxes, 3 1/2 feet off the ground with a ladder into the 16X15 ft run. So... that's us.. I have become obsessed!
1f609.png

Rule of thumb is 4-5 sq. feet per bird in the coop, excluding nest boxes and roosts, and 10 sq. feet per bird in the out run. Chickens hate to be crowded and act out by pecking, bullying, and in extreme cases cannibalism. It's always good to build larger than you think you need because you will become addicted, and find there is always a new breed or variety you would like to have. Otherwise you will need to add enlargements or more coops.

Welcome to BYC, hope you enjoy it as much as we do
yesss.gif

Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice from DD already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
CT

Thank you for the welcome. Those chicks have completely outgrown their chicky warm enclosures and we just introduced both batches into the almost finished coop in the garage. They are all doing very well and have much more room.

Back
Top Bottom