Just when I thought I could never replace my filly...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Avalon1984, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Sadly, as a few of you know, we lost our 3 year old filly to a severe colic over Thanksgiving weekend. That was one of the hardest things I ever had to go through and it was a devastating blow to our breeding program. The vets and us did everything we could but in the end we just couldnÂ’t save her. So I spend the last week looking for replacements. The market is soft right now but there are some good bloodlines out there to be had. So I actually did find a filly, as well as a colt that I really liked. Husband has been urging me to get another stallion for a while. Since we sold the first one we have been hauling the mares back and forth for breeding and he wants to have a stud again on the farm. I have a vet check done next week and if all goes well we will be bringing this little guy home with us before Christmas!!! I am so excited! We are still in negotiations with the filly but all looks good. Plus, out of the blue a local PD contacted me about my gelding for sale, they want him for the posse! I am so excited right now!

This is a picture of Nala, my filly that I lost. I only have pdfs of the colt and filly so far but will post as soon as I have more pictures. The colt has the same roaning that Nala had, high whites and a neat blaze. The filly is pitch black with 4 whites and a nice blaze. Both have great bloodlines. So excited!

[​IMG]

2. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    So sorry to hear about your loss [​IMG] she is a gorgeous girl. I love the roaning too!

Is she a shire? I would love to see pics of the new ones you are getting!

3. Avalon1984

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Quote:Thanks. She was a black Clydesdale. Armageddon bloodlines on both sides [​IMG] She was a sweet heart. Even had 1/2 blue eyes on each side. We can only hope that one day we will come across a horse like her again. The new ones are great but nothing is coming close to her [​IMG]

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Sorry about your loss. Good luck with the new one.

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    How sad. Very sorry. Keep us updated on the new guy.

6. Avalon1984

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Quote:I will you guys, thanks. Just waiting to hear from the shippers as the weather is getting a little questionable up here. It is kind of ironic because out stud colt sold but will stay here until the spring for a safe transport down to AZ. So hopefully my colt and the new Clyde colt can be friends for a while. That'd be great.

7. Avalon1984

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Yeah, I figured out how to copy the pictures. Here are the pictures for the new colt. I love his butt. So well muscled.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. AuroraSprings

AuroraSprings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Is he cow-hocky in the back or is that just how he's standing? I know foals are hard to hold still, especially when someone is walking in circles around them.

Otherwise he looks great! Such a cutie [​IMG]

9. Avalon1984

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Quote:The Clydes are bred this way. They want the hocks to be touching and funny shaped like that. It looks even worse witht he foals. I like him [​IMG]

10. goofy98

goofy98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2011
    Prineville
    oooooooooo I wont one but allready have to many horses what do you think on appys? I have just started on my breeding program just had my first filly this year need to get more mares and one more colt. what do you think I should do keep the filly and get a colt or sell the filly and with the mony get a mare that and just have that? I will post pics [​IMG]

here she is as you can see just born
    [​IMG]

1 or 2 month ago
    [​IMG]

mom befor she had her
    [​IMG]

dad
    [​IMG]

ant
    [​IMG]

it is so weird that she terned out like here dad so what do you think?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by