K&H Pet Products Thermo-Poultry 25 Watt Brooder?

How'd it go with the K&H Thermo-Poultry brooder solution? I'm trying it too!
My chicks have pipped and will be ready to go into the brooder by tomorrow. I have this plate too. I’ve got it on already. But I also am concerned it doesn’t get very warm. The reading I took off of it said 97.4...
They have been in an incubator at 99.5 for so long I’m afraid that’s too cold. The garage is at 70 during the day. Not sure at night. But I don’t want to have to use a heat lamp.
How did your brood do?

My chicks have pipped and will be ready to go into the brooder by tomorrow. I have this plate too. I’ve got it on already. But I also am concerned it doesn’t get very warm. The reading I took off of it said 97.4...
They have been in an incubator at 99.5 for so long I’m afraid that’s too cold. The garage is at 70 during the day. Not sure at night. But I don’t want to have to use a heat lamp.
How did your brood do?
My chicks are at 3 weeks now with no issues whatsoever. To my understanding, the plates do not need to be super super hot as it mimics a broody hen. Chicks will huddle together, and go in and out of the heater area as they need to. The chicks obviously cannot be kept at 99 degrees forever. The first few days mine spent most of their time under the heat plate, darting out for quick zoomies, and to eat and drink. By 1 week they only occasionally went under.

My chicks are at 3 weeks now with no issues whatsoever. To my understanding, the plates do not need to be super super hot as it mimics a broody hen. Chicks will huddle together, and go in and out of the heater area as they need to. The chicks obviously cannot be kept at 99 degrees forever. The first few days mine spent most of their time under the heat plate, darting out for quick zoomies, and to eat and drink. By 1 week they only occasionally went under.
Thank you for the quick update!

I have this brooder plate and it has worked very well for the chicks I raised (now almost 6 weeks) and the new batch I got last week. Only downside I could see is the number of chicks that can still fit under it by 3 weeks or so. I've only had 4 with each group of chicks so I never had a problem but even raised all the way to the top I wonder how many could fit if someone was raising a dozen or more.

How did your brood do?
They all grew up to be healthy productive chickens! I still use this product to this day and pretty much swear by it now. I have some chicks on it right now, actually. And they're in the house and our house gets quite cold at night. I think it better imitates the natural warmth of the mother rather than those blazing hot heat lamps and other plates. Also a downside to intense heat is it causes bad pasty butt. I raised a batch of sebright chicks on a heat lamp and was cleaning their butts every single day. Switched them to the K&H Brooder and the problem went away almost instantly.

I used this brooder on some chicks we got last year and all are alive and well and doing great! Several friends of mine have also used my brooder to raise their own chicks. One lost a few with the heat lamp and once he started using the brooder no issues. I highly recommend it. My chicks were happy the entire time. Once they got a little older and were roaming around more you could turn the light out at night and they went under the brooder and went to sleep like little kids and didn't wake up until the light came on the next morning! We are about to use it again on the next batch of little ones we get.

I have just bought a Thermo Poultry brooder. It has a height adjustment so depending on the size of the chick I can move it up or down. I have a heatlamp too with a black heat bulb. I am hoping it will go well. Chicks not due until April 14 th.

Update! The chicks seem pretty happy now. Coming in and out from under it to eat and drink. I don't think any of them are cold. They just seem sleepy.

Still curious to know other peoples' experiences with this product. It was the only brand available during Tractor Supply chick days, so there has to be other folks out there that have tried it.
Just curious how many chicks you have. I’ve got three silkies and this warmer but I keep turning on the heat lamp because I’m afraid to leave them with just the plate. They’re 1week and two days old

I have the K&H and 8 chicks. They started outgrowing it (I have the small one) last week. It’s too crowded for 8. I had already made my Mama’s Heater using the Sunbeam heating pad so when I moved them to the large brooder this week, I moved the K&H and started using the Mama’s Heater. It’s about a 50/50 split now with half using one and the other half using the other. The K&H is is good brooder plate for sure.

Back
Top Bottom