Katahdin Sheep Questions!

BaaKaaawk

Coopster
13 Years
Apr 4, 2011
Lexington, KY
Hey Fellow Chicken People! I am looking to get maybe 10 ewes for a 4 acre hay pasture I'd like them to keep "mowed". I'm torn between sheep (which I would prefer due to looks, etc) or getting a couple cows (which are supposedly easier, but harder on the ground).

So, the super novice question- can I just put the sheep out there and forget about them (obviously other than basic needs like food, water, etc)? They will have 2 barn stalls to themselves as well. Or is there a lot more to it that I am not aware of. I read they have parasite issues, so I assume I will need to vaccinate them on some schedule... but otherwise... any big issues I should be thinking about that I'm not?

Thank you in advance!

Hello! Katahdins are amazing! You'll love them!

Besides vaccinating them yearly, it is important to do regular fecal checks and only deworm them when necessary. Rotational grazing also helps cut down on the parasite load. But Katahdins are a great choice because they are very parasite resistant and get fat on grass alone. Mine have only been dewormed a few times in the 13 years we've had them (they are 14 years old!!)

They will also need regular hoof trimming which is pretty easy to learn to do yourself (a vet can show you), and 24/7 access to loose minerals. During the winter mine have done fine on just hay (and minerals). Grain isn't usually needed, at least for my adults.

Now if you are planning to breed them there are other things they will need.

I raised a few wethers for meat, so I had less than a year, but they were very easy to handle and keep. They were bottle raised though so that probably made a difference. You may want to check with some local folks or your local agricultural office to see how many head your property can handle. Just to make sure you don't get too many that you'll have to buy feed or deal with parasite overload.

Also, if you aren't looking to breed them, you would probably be better off getting wethers. They're usually a lot cheaper and you won't have to deal with hormonal females. I've got a ND goat herd and some of my girls can be a real pain when they go into heat.

Back
Top Bottom