Kayaks, what do you know about them?

MaggieRae

Crowing
15 Years
Apr 12, 2009
North Texas
This summer is coming up and my family has always thought about getting one or two, but don't know what to look for. Should we buy new or used? If we buy used, what should we check for? Any pertinent information would be much appreciated! I know nothing about kayaks, but I've ridden in canoes and kayaks before.

Thanks y'all!

I have 3 kayaks that are used on "flat water" like ponds, lakes, and rivers with no rapids.
Blast $100 Dicks Sporting Goods. Fits a child 10+
Prodegy Perception---REI $250 nice boat.
Aquaterra Kiawwi--Tandam--$350--Craigslist, Lots of room for me and the dog.

If you live near an REI or anyother big name sporting goods store they will have rentals

Even though these are used on "flat water" we wear out life jackets at all times while on the lakes and rivers.

Quote:
The kayaks would be used 99% just in the cove, although I can't guarantee they won't make it over to one of the islands on the lake. I like the idea of renting one first as well. Our friends have a couple, so it may be a better idea to just borrow those for a trip around the cove.

I would borrow them if you can. That way you will know if you really like kayaking before you go out and buy. Where do you live? If it's someplace like me, NC piedmont area, we go out on the water from about Easter to Thanksgiving without wetsuits.

Here are some of my pics from a camping trip along the Chesepeak Bay

Imreadyletsgo.jpg

Ilookgood.jpg

HomeJames.jpg

Quote:
Great pics! My dog likes to jet ski around the cove and intertube... I wonder if she would like kayaking? I kayaked a little bit two years ago, so I know I like it, I just don't know the difference between kayaks in particular. I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy new, because people are trying to sell them for $1000+ on craigslist, but they're only $100-400 in the catalog? This way at least, I know they haven't been banged up. I think I like the open fishing ones, but the ones that close around your legs seem like they would hold you on better. Any thoughts?
Thanks!

ETA: I live in North Texas. Weather isn't an issue. We have a nice secluded cove that the waves don't get too high on, but out on the lake, they can get REALLY big. Big enough to capsize 20ft+ pontoon boats with ease. On the major weekends, memorial, labour, etc. We get about 15 pontoon boats capsized, and many more small fishing ones. It can get nasty because we have the big yachts and the cigarette racing boats. Not too long ago we have a bad crash with two of the racing boats, and their population on our lake dropped dramatically. Can't say I miss that noise at 4 in the morning, but still a sad situation when lives are lost.
hmm.png

Last edited:
We don't go anywhere near the water on weekends anymore. Too many drunks going way to fast.

Dick's Sporting goods has the Blast. It's a great little boat. My husband who is 6ft4in used it. You aren't going flip that one unless you want to. I think we only paid $100 on sale. Dick's also has the Yak board. It's a "sit on top". I've seen people out on the lakes here with them. You are more likely fall off than flip it over.

I got the Prodegy from REI. They have a good selection of both white water and flat water boats. Old Town is a good brand. You can get them at a pretty good price.

The tandem boat has been great for me and the dog. I put a boogieboard and shower mat over the front seat to give her a platform. We get laughs because of her "Doggles" but they stop the glare from the water hurting her eyes. Since we started using them, she is more into looking around then sitting there with her eyes squinted from the glare.

Quote:
Gosh, I didn't notice them! How cute they are! I think we might have a Dick's Sporting goods around here. I know where one is up in Illinois... Not exactly helpful. We have a Cabela's, Bass Pro Shop, and a Gander Mt. in close proximity. The Blast sounds good and I'll be sure to look up the other two brands you mentioned.
Thank you for all your help. I'm pretty excited to get into this, because our cove is really wide and it would be nice to get to the deeper parts as far as fishing goes. Not saying I will fish off the kayak, but it would be fun to have either way.

Back
Top Bottom