Kdogg331 Chat Thread

Pics
Even if you do everything right you can still have fish die over winter. It's very stressful to them. I don't necessarily know everything about leaving them out during the winter. I started to read up on it and it sounded iffy here in Wisconsin. If I didn't have my big tank I would probably keep them in a cow tank in the basement over winter. I hate not knowing how my fish are doing.

I've had my big fish since 2003, so I have gotten a bit attached to them.

I don't want to talk you out of a pond, definitely do some reading on it. Some of the folks on your pond thread I think are further south than you and me. What plant zone are you in? 4 or 5?

Plus a bigger tank is way cheaper than a big pond for fish, so again not talking you out of it. There's a whole balancing act with a pond between fish, and plants and filtration. If you get it wrong you end up with an algae filled mess. Filters need constant maintenance, plants too. Many people put in a small pond than become disenchanted with it, and it's constant maintenance.

My pond is smaller and I manage it like an aquarium with water changes and filter rinsing every few days. I'm always relieved to shut it down in the fall.
I'm far behind.
:oops:
I will catch up asap.

Oh and your goldfish are fine for now in your 20 long with water and filter changes. I saw on that thread they were scaring you. Your fish still have 5 gallons each. Goldfish are really hardy compared to others, so take your time and figure out what you want for them.

Remember a pond also needs time for the bacteria colonies to develop, and the water to mellow. I always seed my pond by putting used gravel from an aquarium to get the bacteria going.

Yeah, I was/am really worried they're gonna just like drop dead now lol

And thanks, that's a good point. How long does it take? 24 hours like with tanks or longer? Like a week or something?

Yeah, I was/am really worried they're gonna just like drop dead now lol

And thanks, that's a good point. How long does it take? 24 hours like with tanks or longer? Like a week or something?
Yeah don't let them scare you. I generally seed my bacteria than the next day move a few out along with a bit more gravel. Than the next day I take a few more out. I have 13 big goldfish in my 125. According to the experts on that thread they should have all dropped dead by now. I don't understand people making blanket statements about other people's stuff.

Chick family. :)

Attachments

• IMG_20180627_222109.jpg
    IMG_20180627_222109.jpg
    636.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20180627_222039.jpg
    IMG_20180627_222039.jpg
    572.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20180627_222027.jpg
    IMG_20180627_222027.jpg
    644.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20180627_094138.jpg
    IMG_20180627_094138.jpg
    652.7 KB · Views: 2
Yeah don't let them scare you. I generally seed my bacteria than the next day move a few out along with a bit more gravel. Than the next day I take a few more out. I have 13 big goldfish in my 125. According to the experts on that thread they should have all dropped dead by now. I don't understand people making blanket statements about other people's stuff.

Thanks for the info. So by seed you mean put some gravel in? Will a few pieces of gravel be enough for a big pond? Aha and yeah, true. I don't get it. But that said I think if possible I would like to spoil mine with lots of room lol

I do think though babies could stunt like for example in bowls with no room to grow but maybe cause yours are already full size they're fine?

Thanks for the info. So by seed you mean put some gravel in? Will a few pieces of gravel be enough for a big pond? Aha and yeah, true. I don't get it. But that said I think if possible I would like to spoil mine with lots of room lol

I do think though babies could stunt like for example in bowls with no room to grow but maybe cause yours are already full size they're fine?
Bowls are always a bad idea for goldfish. What happens with goldfish is they grow slower in a smaller tank and faster in a larger setup. Mine would always double out in the pond. Sunlight and algae to eat seems to fuel growth.

Stunting is different than slower growth. Yours are definitely growing well.

Yes I use gravel from my tanks because bacteria will colonize it. You can also put filter media in the tank for a week or two to get bacteria to start growing than move that filter media to the pond. I generally move about 3 big cottage cheese containers full of used gravel to my pond to fire it up.

Bowls are always a bad idea for goldfish. What happens with goldfish is they grow slower in a smaller tank and faster in a larger setup. Mine would always double out in the pond. Sunlight and algae to eat seems to fuel growth.

Stunting is different than slower growth. Yours are definitely growing well.

Yes I use gravel from my tanks because bacteria will colonize it. You can also put filter media in the tank for a week or two to get bacteria to start growing than move that filter media to the pond. I generally move about 3 big cottage cheese containers full of used gravel to my pond to fire it up.

Thanks, that makes sense.

And ohh okay, I thought you meant like a couple rocks and I was gonna say I don't think that would do much lol a few cups makes more sense lol

And thoughts on the latest post? About filtration?

Thanks, that makes sense.

And ohh okay, I thought you meant like a couple rocks and I was gonna say I don't think that would do much lol a few cups makes more sense lol

And thoughts on the latest post? About filtration?
I have always used whisper filters with my goldfish. What size is yours? I would be using a 25-40 gallon one. You must be doing something right as they are thriving. Lots of professional goldfish keepers use no filtration, and just do big water changes more often. Again, I don't know why they are trying to scare you. It's not like are in a 10 gallon or a bowl.

Back
Top Bottom