Keep Away!!

poultry guy

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 11, 2011
My chickens are free-range and I always have trouble with predators, sometimes it's foxes, sometimes it's hawks, and sometimes it's something I cannot identify. Usually I get hit by a fox, if anyone knows techniques to keep foxes away love to hear them.

Make a wonderful fox skin blanket. They are so beautiful.
wink.png

My chickens are free-range and I always have trouble with predators, sometimes it's foxes, sometimes it's hawks, and sometimes it's something I cannot identify. Usually I get hit by a fox, if anyone knows techniques to keep foxes away love to hear them.
Very hard to do that. Do you have good fencing around your farm? If you are facing huge lose you must take assistance of professional services

Free range=vulnerability to predators.
Unless you create a "fort knox" facility and imprison your birds, you assume the risk every time you let them out.
Guard dogs can minimize exposure, but death from above in the form of hawks is inevitable.
I have yet to lose a chicken because my run is covered, and birds are locked up at night.
But I have lost ducks to coyotes, and refuse to give in and keep the ducks prisoners in a pen 24/7 .
I take the risk every time the duck pen door opens.
Our GP cross guardian is gone, and his pet replacement- a 10 pound Brussels Griffon- would be a snack for a coyote so never sees outdoors without a leash.
My advice is- make absolutely secure those animals you cannot afford to lose, and take the risk with those you choose to free range.
And reconcile yourself to some eventual losses.

i have a aussi shepherd x border collie and then a pit bull and then a husky mix so i never lose anything i lost one bird to a fox at night time my ducks would not come inside and they were left out before since they wouldn't go in .. i have been attacked by a hawk it went for the biggest hen i have and it could not even lift the hen off the ground

Prob with all these AWESOME solutions, i already have a dog that hates my chickens and would eat them if she could, but i can not suport another dog, the fencing costs too much, i'm looking for a simple something.

Back
Top Bottom