Keep us in your thoughts...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Dawn419, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Well, Skip/doc_gonzo and I got out on our usual Sunday Harley ride on 2/4/08. It was in the 50's with a chance of rain and we decided to "race the raindrops".

We made a big loop...from Sparta up to Monterey, over to Livingston then Hillham and down to Cookeville. We ran into a light shower up in Monterey but it was over in a matter of minutes so we decided to keep riding. We stopped at our friends' sandwhich shop/bar/grill for dinner before we headed back home.

On the ride home, we were headed south on the main drag in Cookeville, when some fool ran the red light...we never saw it coming until it was too late. The bike hit the car and the next thing I know, Skip and I are lying in the road. Fortunately, there was a witness, waiting for the light to change. He called 911 and to quote the initial 911 call, "I'm pretty sure that they may be dead...". Needless to say, I'm glad to report that he was wrong!

I came out of it with several cracked ribs, broken right wrist/dislocated pinky finger and serious bruising, mainly on my right leg. Skip was injured much worse...he suffered a broken pelvis, torn bladder, several broken ribs and serious bruising. I was able to come home on the 6th, the hospital kept Skip until this past Friday, then they sent him to a local P/T-Rehab facility. He'll be coming home this Friday, after 5 full days of physical therapy. He'll be in a wheelchair for a few months but is able to use a walker to help him get around.

My grandmom really wanted me to stay with her until Skip was able to come home but there was no way that I was going to be away from our critters for that long! They have been the best therapy for me!

The police/nurses/doctors were amazed that we weren't hurt worse and we have our leathers and helmets to thank for that fact! Not sure what the damage to the Sporster is, at this time, but she's in one piece and is safe at a friends garage for the time being.

Well, I'm gonna get up and move around some...this is the longest that I've been sitting at the computer and I'm feeling it...it's good to be back!!!

Dawn & Skip

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    OMGosh. I am so sorry that happened to you. I hope you both get better. Yall are in my prayers

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2008
  3. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Wow - that must have been very scary! Glad to know you both are fine now. Hope you all heal well.

4. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    I am to thankful that you both were not hurt much worse than you were. I know that you both will have a long road to recovery. I was in a bike wreck in 88 and was in the hospital 11 days so I can relate to what you are going through. I pray yours and Skips healing will be much faster than expected. Good Luck and you both are in my thoughts and prayers

5. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Wow! Here's to a speedy recovery for both of you. So glad you're both okay. [​IMG]

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

A good public service announcement for wearing proper safety gear! Glad you both survived, although a bit tattered, to say the least. My DH and I were bikers and people just don't seem to see them no matter how humongous the motorcycles are-we rode a Goldwing.

7. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    I'm glad to hear you are getting around, and the 911 caller was 'dead' wrong...LOL

I wish you both a speedy and uneventful recovery!!

8. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    Best wishes for a speedy recovery !!!

I've been riding for years, and while I treasure the time I spend on my bike, somedays I feel like a target is on my back. People just don't see you it seems and intersections are the pits!!

Julie [​IMG]

9. peepsnbunnies

peepsnbunnies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    Central Florida
    Wow [​IMG], so glad you are here to tell your story! Hope you guys recover quickly. [​IMG]

Lisa [​IMG]

10. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    OMG [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by