Keeper zucchini recipes

cackle

Songster
11 Years
Jul 8, 2008
North Carolina
Okay, I am up to my ears in zucchini. I need recipes and suggestions on freezing. My husband does not really like zucchini so any methods to kind of mask to squash taste will be appreciated.

Last edited:
I would like some recipes as well. Last year I canned some like dill pickles but they didn't come out crisp like my pickles, they was kinda mushy
roll.png

i slice to 1/4", blanch for three minutes, cool quickly under cold water, pat dry and freeze on a cookie sheet. when frozen bag them in ziplocks.

Quote:
he might like something like this:
SAUSAGE-STUFFED ZUCCHINI

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4 med. size zucchini
8 oz. Italian sausage, hot or sweet
1 med. size yellow onion, chopped
3 tbsp. minced parsley
2 tbsp. minced basil or 2 tsp. dried basil, crumbled
1/4 tsp. dried marjoram or thyme, crumbled
1/4 c. fine, dry bread crumbs
1/4 tsp. each salt & black pepper
1 egg

Cut in half lengthwise, about 1 1/2 pounds total weight.
Place zucchini halves in a large saucepan, weigh them down with a small plate so they will cook evenly and cover with boiling water. Over moderately low heat, simmer for 6 to 8 minutes or until the zucchini are almost tender. Drain and refresh under cold running water.

With a spoon, scoop the pulp from the zucchini, leaving a 1/4" border all around. Chop the pulp coarsely, transfer to a sieve and press with the back of a large spoon to extract any excess liquid, set pulp aside. Place zucchini on paper toweling to drain.

Remove and discard the sausage casings, break up the meat and saute in a 10" skillet over moderate heat for 5 minutes. Add the onion, basil and marjoram. Cook 5 minutes more or until the onion is soft. Remove from the heat, add the bread crumbs, 2 tablespoons of the Parmesan cheese and the salt and pepper. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix the egg with the stuffing mixture and fill the zucchini cavity with equal amounts of the stuffing.

Place the zucchini boats in a 13"x9"x2" baking dish, sprinkle 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered for 35 to 45 minutes or until the zucchini are heated thoroughly and the filling has a lightly brown crust.

more here:
http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,sausage_stuffed_zucchini,FF.html

Quote:
he might like something like this:
SAUSAGE-STUFFED ZUCCHINI

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4 med. size zucchini
8 oz. Italian sausage, hot or sweet
1 med. size yellow onion, chopped
3 tbsp. minced parsley
2 tbsp. minced basil or 2 tsp. dried basil, crumbled
1/4 tsp. dried marjoram or thyme, crumbled
1/4 c. fine, dry bread crumbs
1/4 tsp. each salt & black pepper
1 egg

Cut in half lengthwise, about 1 1/2 pounds total weight.
Place zucchini halves in a large saucepan, weigh them down with a small plate so they will cook evenly and cover with boiling water. Over moderately low heat, simmer for 6 to 8 minutes or until the zucchini are almost tender. Drain and refresh under cold running water.

With a spoon, scoop the pulp from the zucchini, leaving a 1/4" border all around. Chop the pulp coarsely, transfer to a sieve and press with the back of a large spoon to extract any excess liquid, set pulp aside. Place zucchini on paper toweling to drain.

Remove and discard the sausage casings, break up the meat and saute in a 10" skillet over moderate heat for 5 minutes. Add the onion, basil and marjoram. Cook 5 minutes more or until the onion is soft. Remove from the heat, add the bread crumbs, 2 tablespoons of the Parmesan cheese and the salt and pepper. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix the egg with the stuffing mixture and fill the zucchini cavity with equal amounts of the stuffing.

Place the zucchini boats in a 13"x9"x2" baking dish, sprinkle 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered for 35 to 45 minutes or until the zucchini are heated thoroughly and the filling has a lightly brown crust.

more here:
http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,sausage_stuffed_zucchini,FF.html

That sounds really good and we were just given a pound of fresh beef
Italian sausage. So if he did not like the zucchini then more for me and he can eat the other half pound of sausage. Have you ever frozen leftovers or would you reccomend freezing at the step before baking?

Quote:
Thanks, I was wondering if I needed to blanch first. I easily have enough squash for the stuffed squash and to freeze. And since I am pickinng about 7 medium zucchini a day I will be able to try all kinds of recipes.

Last edited:
I do a stuffed zuchinni as well but I use ground beef. I chop a medium sized onion and add 1 cup of cooked rice. I also add 1 cup of mottzerella cheese. Then I stuff the scooped out zuchinni and top with alittle spaighetti sauce or tomatos sauce. I bake covered in foil for 1 hour. Just before they are finished I take the foil off and top with more cheese. Even my DH loves these and he won't eat groundbeef.

If you husband does not like the taste of squash try this recipe. Its my late MIL's recipe for zuchinni bread.

2/3 cup of hot water
2/3 cup raisins or dates
2 2/3 cups of sugar
2/3 cup shortening
4 eggs
2 cups grated zuchinni
3 1/3 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp baking powder
2/3 cup chopped nuts (optional)
Pour Hot water over raisins or dates let stand.
Cream sugar and shortening. add eggs and beat.Add squash and beat.
Sift dry ingredients together. add to egg sugar mixture alternating with raisins and water. add nuts. Pour into loaf pans
Bake 45-50 minutes at 350.
Makes 2 8" loafs.

I asked this same question to women around here. They said to just slice, bread the slices with cornmeal, put in bags and freeze.
Then, to cook, take them out of freezer, and put in hot oil and deep fry frozen.

I was wondering if I should blanche them before breading them.
They said not to, but it sounds like I should.
DH and I love fried squash.

What do y'all think?

Jean

I blanched mine last year and when I defrosted them they were chewy. I did do some up again this year but I haven't rally wanted to do alot incase they were the same. I am going to try breading and freezing some like you mentioned. Thanks for the idea.

Back
Top Bottom