Keeping California quail in groups

I currently keep a trio of Valleys together in a small aviary (don't have the measurements off the top if my head). They've even been through a breeding season together and there did not appear to be any issues. I am not 100% sure it'll stay like that but I do intend to extend it with the option for separation.
Yes it will work as long as you only have a trio and not pairs. It most likely will stay like that if you have 2 males and one female they don't really have a reason to fight. If it's 2 females and 1 male then you may have problems. This is just in my experience though sometimes its the other way around it just depends. Have a great day!

Yes it will work as long as you only have a trio and not pairs. It most likely will stay like that if you have 2 males and one female they don't really have a reason to fight. If it's 2 females and 1 male then you may have problems. This is just in my experience though sometimes its the other way around it just depends. Have a great day!
It's two girls and boy. I don't know if they'll stay peaceful but they have so far. I have considered getting another male and splitting them, but I don't want to upset what I have.

It's two girls and boy. I don't know if they'll stay peaceful but they have so far. I have considered getting another male and splitting them, but I don't want to upset what I have.
I wouldn't. If they haven't caused any problems so far then your probably in the clear. Its mating season right now for them. Have your girls started laying?

I wouldn't. If they haven't caused any problems so far then your probably in the clear. Its mating season right now for them. Have your girls started laying?
I live in Aus :) Mating season has been and done, both girls laid, but I unfortunately didn't have much success with babies.
Part of the reason of considering another Male is Valleys aren't super common where I am, so I do worry about something happening to my boy and not having another.

I live in Aus :) Mating season has been and done, both girls laid, but I unfortunately didn't have much success with babies.
Part of the reason of considering another Male is Valleys aren't super common where I am, so I do worry about something happening to my boy and not having another.
Oh wow thats awesome! Sorry that it didn't work out for you. I keep gambels quail which are very similar to valley quail, and they too are hard to get in my area. What I did is I kept my main flock of birds in an aviary but I had extras just in case one died. I kept them in a smaller pen until I needed them. This could be an option for you.

I currently keep a trio of Valleys together in a small aviary (don't have the measurements off the top if my head). They've even been through a breeding season together and there did not appear to be any issues. I am not 100% sure it'll stay like that but I do intend to extend it with the option for separation.
DO you happen to know what sexes the trio are? 2 females; 1 male?

Back
Top Bottom