Keeping chickens cool in metal roofed coop/run

Shadowmadra78

In the Brooder
May 13, 2020
Apopka Florida
So I am looking for advice. We're part way through building our coop/run and want to make sure our peepers don't get too hot. We are right now looking at putting the heat reflective insulation under the rafters. It's the type that's shiny on one side and white foam on the other. The coop will be closed on three sides (the far left in the picture, between the first two poles), and open on the third, with the rest of the run being open with hardware cloth. We want to put in a metal roof (already have the parts for it) but want to make sure that our little ones won't cook in the heat from them. Are we thinking too much about this? Is it fine as is as long as there's as much ventilation as we're looking at? Does anyone have any experience with solar panels and fans, or misting systems they recommend using (diy or kits)? If this would be better put in a different thread, please point the way. And thank you for all the help you can provide us.

Attachments

• Coop and Run.jpg
    Coop and Run.jpg
    420 KB · Views: 121
You'll need cross ventilation from both sides and a ridge vent.

The higher up on the wall the better -- it's popular to leave the soffits open and predator proofed with hardware cloth.

It's a lean to style roof, so only one sloping side. So no ridge vent and I'm planning on cutting holes in the fascia. The low side will be about 3 to 3.5 feet off the ground (after a 1' overhang from the metal roof sheets). I figure during the day they'll be out in the run area so no problem with being stuck and hot in the coop, and since those are all open side (1/2" hardware cloth), it should have plenty of ventilation there, I hope.

You’re right to be concerned about the heat from the metal roof. I converted a metal shed to a coop and it was extremely hot even with ventilation. I installed foam board on the ceiling and half way down the west side wall, that helped cool it down a lot. I then painted the top of the roof bright white with rustoleum paint to reflect the sun. That helped even more. Now, even on the hottest days it is a cool retreat for the chickens.
Just be careful that the chickens have no way to get to the foam board, they will eat it.

You’re right to be concerned about the heat from the metal roof. I converted a metal shed to a coop and it was extremely hot even with ventilation. I installed foam board on the ceiling and half way down the west side wall, that helped cool it down a lot. I then painted the top of the roof bright white with rustoleum paint to reflect the sun. That helped even more. Now, even on the hottest days it is a cool retreat for the chickens.
Just be careful that the chickens have no way to get to the foam board, they will eat it.

We can't paint the roof as it won't work with the metal we got (galvalume), and the top of the insulation will probably be about 5 feet off the ground at the lowest point. Is there a way to keep them from eating it, and how hard will they jump up to peck at it? We have buff orpingtons so want to make sure.

Ventilation is key also shade trees if possible. I don't think our metal roof is that much hotter than a shingle roof.
However, we made sure we had plenty of ventilation going in multiple directions and the trees behind the coop/run give our girls shade at about 2-3pm throughout the hottest part of the day.
No insulation as we are in the Heart of Dixie! I walked into the coop today to fill up the feeders and it felt a few degrees cooler. Still humid!

Coop Ready to Landscape.jpg
Coop Run (2).jpg

You will want to keep the roosts away from the ceiling. One of my Leghorns figured out she could jump straight up from the 2x2 roost and peck the board and land back on the roost. She ate about a 12” circle out of the board in one afternoon so I had to replace it and lower the roost. Keep the roost at least 2 1/2’ away from the ceiling.

Back
Top Bottom