Keeping Chickens When You Have Arthritis.

Pics
For me, the secret I've discovered isn't so much what I eat when it comes to loosing weight, but the size of the serving. Yes, measuring everything you eat is a bit of a pain, but I've pretty much gotten use to keeping a measuring cup nearby.

Makes you realize that a half cup serving of ice cream isn't all that much :hit

Obesity in America is partially due to eating more than a recommended serving size.

I took my first shot of Methotrexate yesterday. Lots of fatigue but so far that is it. I slept 8 hours yesterday but could sleep more this morning.:caf

Penny, I have IBS also. It's a pain in the butt....literally.:lau:rant:gig

@microchick I think you are right. Seeing a real serving size vs what we think is a serving is key as well as staying active.
Also, I try to eat more whole foods vs processed. I think that is also why there are problems with obesity. Look at all of the processed foods we have access to. Even those meant to be "healthy" are not always the best options. That is not to say that I don't ever eat processed foods. They are just limited in my daily diet. I have been in a different mindset for over two years now and have kept quite a bit of weight off. I am about your height, but no way will I ever be what your goal is. My body is just not made that way. But, I am in a normal bmi range now. As long as I feel good about myself, I don't need a chart to tell me that I need to weigh 115. I would look sickly. I like a more toned look. :)

Same here, @Soon2BChixMom. I remember eating at a little Italian restaurant in the city where we had our business some 5 years ago before retirement. I loved their tortellini but the serving size was amazingly large. DH pointed out to me that I could get a kid's sized portion. That is what I started ordering from that point on whenever we ate there. Even if you go to Mickey D's, ask for a Happy Meal. They will give you options for the sides like apple slices. Even the hamburger is smaller.

Restaurant serving sizes are set for people who are built like Hoss Cartwright. Most serving sizes are 1/2 to 3/4s cup and meat sizes are the size of a deck of playing cards.

Next time you eat out, watch the amount of food they pile on your plate.

They wonder why American's are so fat.

Same here, @Soon2BChixMom. I remember eating at a little Italian restaurant in the city where we had our business some 5 years ago before retirement. I loved their tortellini but the serving size was amazingly large. DH pointed out to me that I could get a kid's sized portion. That is what I started ordering from that point on whenever we ate there. Even if you go to Mickey D's, ask for a Happy Meal. They will give you options for the sides like apple slices. Even the hamburger is smaller.

Restaurant serving sizes are set for people who are built like Hoss Cartwright. Most serving sizes are 1/2 to 3/4s cup and meat sizes are the size of a deck of playing cards.

Serving sizes never cease to amaze me around here! I don’t remember the last time I finished a meal at a restaurant or even a fast food place, it’s insane.

I struggle to keep weight on, even more so now that certain anti-seizure meds have totally ruined my appetite. Unfortunately that means I can eat a lot of garbage if that happens to be the thing my brain and stomach agree upon that day. I want to put healthy muscle on but I don’t know where to start; I used to walk/jog but this summer has been so hot, and gyms are intimidating lol.

We barely eat out these days once a week at most. I am not a fan of fast food either. ;)

Serving sizes never cease to amaze me around here! I don’t remember the last time I finished a meal at a restaurant or even a fast food place, it’s insane.

I struggle to keep weight on, even more so now that certain anti-seizure meds have totally ruined my appetite. Unfortunately that means I can eat a lot of garbage if that happens to be the thing my brain and stomach agree upon that day. I want to put healthy muscle on but I don’t know where to start; I used to walk/jog but this summer has been so hot, and gyms are intimidating lol.
Try 3 lb weights to start with. That ought to give enough resistance. 5s are about the most I use as when I went higher (8lbs and 10lbs), my elbows would flare up too much and it wasn't worth it. If you do more reps with the lower weights, it will all work out. :)

Try 3 lb weights to start with. That ought to give enough resistance. 5s are about the most I use as when I went higher (8lbs and 10lbs), my elbows would flare up too much and it wasn't worth it. If you do more reps with the lower weights, it will all work out. :)
I will give that a go! Trying to fix up my chick’s run these last two months really pointed out how noodley my muscles have gotten LOL, and I hate feeling constantly tired.

For me, the secret I've discovered isn't so much what I eat when it comes to loosing weight, but the size of the serving. Yes, measuring everything you eat is a bit of a pain, but I've pretty much gotten use to keeping a measuring cup nearby.

Makes you realize that a half cup serving of ice cream isn't all that much :hit

Obesity in America is partially due to eating more than a recommended serving size.

I took my first shot of Methotrexate yesterday. Lots of fatigue but so far that is it. I slept 8 hours yesterday but could sleep more this morning.:caf

Penny, I have IBS also. It's a pain in the butt....literally.:lau:rant:gig
Methotrexate gives me a day of solid fatigue, Yesterday I napped for 6 hrs during day and still slept good last night. Today energy level back to normal ( never great )
Since being on prednisone and then methotrexate my appetite has been poor, initially lost 10 pounds from not eating much then that is it. I need to force myself to eat small healthy snacks during day. Fasting is bad for metabolism too. I just don’t get hungry but once a day. If I eat lunch than I don’t want dinner. If I skip lunch than I can eat a small dinner. I think the high inflammation levels have had an adverse effect on stomach. I just need to quit nibbling on carbs

Back
Top Bottom