keeping chicks warm

debkshiba

Hatching
12 Years
Apr 2, 2007
Hi, I'm new to raising chickens, and I haven't ordered chicks yet because I need to get a brooder together first. I've selected a couple more docile breeds, but I'm trying to work out how to keep the chicks warm. Has anyone ever used a heating pad or lectro-kennel under the chicks rather than a heat lamp? At this point, I'm just exploring options before making any purchases, but I've got the lectro-kennel pad already. Thanks, DebK

The biggest issue with using under bird heating is that they can not move away from the heat source when it gets too warm. Righ now I have chicks hanging out directly under the warmest part of the light and others ranging out to their comfort levels. As the chicks begin to feather out less and less heat is needed and they are the best at determining what heat level they should be at.

I would definately use a heat lamp. As Robin stated...they wont be able to get away from the under heat...if they are too warm. Good luck with your peeps! And ENJOY!

NO heating pads, the thing will over heat the chicks.
You don't need a fancy set for your chicks, just last weekend I sent my 6 year granddaughter home with 4 chicks in a bird cage (large). I also gave her a light with an aluminum shade for heat. As the others have tols you, this gaves your chicks a chance to get away from the heat as needed. Also, NEVER put the light to close to the water and feed. I myself don't like heat lanps, for I have known them to cause a fires.

Back
Top Bottom