Keeping diffrent types together????

tweetyflights

Songster
9 Years
Aug 16, 2010
K so i have my 1 lone 5 week old California/valley quail chick and i can't seem to find someone with some valley quails ( i can't really ship
sad.png
)
so anyways here on the local craigslist type thing . there is someone with adult , both genders coturnix quail for sale. I'm building a coop/run for Bubbles (valley quail). But anyways i was wondering if i could keep the two types together??? Bubbles is hand raised and very tame but would having other quails affect this?? sorry about the stupid questions
roll.png

I wouldn't recommend housing coturnix and valley quail. Your valley quail needs companions of his own kind. Maybe wait and see if someone has one or two you can purchase
smile.png

Quote:
That reminds me, today a button quail of 2 weeks decides to fly out the brooder and a duckling walks into the room...the duckling grabs the poor button like it was a frog and runs out the door! I got the button back safe and sound but oh boy was that a work out!
smile.png

Definitely not recommended housing more than one species together. Here's an example (although they aren't housed together, but you get the point )
smile.png
smile.png

I will do it in the brooder, but after they ready for grow out, I separate them. I usually have Coturnix and native Bobwhite incubating and hatching at the same time. I will start incubating Bobs for 5 days, then add the Coturnix eggs. They hatch together. They are all the same size. At the end of 2 weeks the Coturnix are 2 x the bobs size. 3 weeks, three times as big. I have 6 Bobs in a brooder right now with 2 Coturnix from my 3 week ago hatch. Some time this week I will separate them. After that an aggressive Coturnix may kill the Bobs. When they are equally sized, it is the other way around.

65292_09-21-10_025.jpg

These birds hatched 09/03/2010. The Coturnix is 3 x the Bob's size. (Gold). yes I opened it to clean shavings from water.

Last edited:
I also do it in the brooder, if they are used to being together they don't have as much of a problem. My example is a lone duckling that hatched. At the time I had no chicks or anything in brooders, just 2 3-week-old coturnix. Obviously, the newly hatched duckling was about the same size as the coturnix, so I stuck her in there. I sold her and her coturnix buddies last week...she was about 4 weeks old and at least 3 times bigger than the quail, but would throw and ever-loving fit if I took her buddies away! So whomever bought that lot got a male brown coturnix and a female pekin duck!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom