Keeping dogs out

My comments were about the neighbors more than the dog itself.
They are ALLOWING the dog to cause problems. by failing to keep it on their property.

I do agree the BIRD owner should be protecting against ALL predators, but in this thread, only one dog has been an ongoing problem.
An effective management system is on that is more pro-active than re-active. Thoughts and actions thus need to be more long-term. Long-term benefits I like to see people concentrate on and thus push in that direction.

The issue is that the dog is on another person property doing harm to their livestock. Yes the dog is being a dog, but remember the dog is a domestic animal with owners. The owners are responsible for keeping the dog on their property. The dog has no right to be running amuck everywhere.

The issue is that the dog is on another person property doing harm to their livestock. Yes the dog is being a dog, but remember the dog is a domestic animal with owners. The owners are responsible for keeping the dog on their property. The dog has no right to be running amuck everywhere.
The dog will differ with you on that account and like with you what dog thinks is the rules played by until someone else puts foot down.

An effective management system is on that is more pro-active than re-active. Thoughts and actions thus need to be more long-term. Long-term benefits I like to see people concentrate on and thus push in that direction.
x2. This is just plain good common sense.

As far as the neighbor's.... if they really want to keep this dog on their property they can. It's not hard, there are lots of options. The fact that this has been going on for a long time and lot of birds killed... I'm sorry, they are not good neighbors and I'd personally have a hard time considering them good friends if they aren't concerned enough to do whatever needs doing to keep their dog at home. If this dog moves on to anybody elses property and pull's this baloney he's going to get shot.

Would they still consider YOU a good neighbor and a close friend if you had an animal that continually trespassed onto THEIR property and killed their dog and anything else they have? Probably not.

I already have 10 ft chain link surrounding the property, nothing but wildlife is coming over. I've now added more reinforcement to the bottom of the fence, it's Fort Knox for crying out loud. I've seen plenty of other dogs attempting to get in but cant, but this dog works at it. He hasn't made it in with the additional reinforcement. I'm nervous though. As of now the birds are up unless I'm home. I've got very young LGDs and they're still learning. I'm hoping they will become more effective with more experience. I will probably start clearing brush in the next couple of months and add a hot fence. I found a ten mile solar charger at the feed store.

For those suggesting animal control, we don't have that where I live. Our only choice for predator control is a well placed shot. I've done what I can. Dogs running loose make me nuts. I've never allowed my dogs to run loose in my life.

Sorry about your losses.

Ever considered having your neighbors and their dog join you for training?

Unfortunately having grown up on a farm I understand that most farmers shoot any threat to livestock regardless of whether or not its an endangered species or an untrained, stray or abused and starving dog. It's an animal that does not know any better.

I personally will not kill a dog that is most likely someones pet for being untrained. It's the owners fault, not the dogs. I would most likely walk it home, tell the owners to either train it or contain it and let them know what they owe me for the chicken. If I didn't know who's dog it was or if it was a repeat offender, I would call the pound. I have sent one on it's way with a spent 12 gauge shell and a note on it's collar but I would never shoot a dog over my chickens unless it was aggressive with me or mine while stopping it.

Definitely install the electric fencing. I'm sure it will come in handy in many circumstances.

I have found it pretty easy to teach dogs that chickens are not toys or food and we are on our third rescue in two years.

Good luck!

Yes. I've invited the owners to come and do some training. I've trained many chicken friendly dogs!

They're very close friends of mine, they've got the dog chained for now. I'm going to start working on the hot fence. I've got a solar charger for the horses that charges 10 miles of fence. I'm going to tie into that. We'll see if that works. I'm going to run it around the entire perimeter at the bottom.

Not much of a friend who allows their pet to kill your livestock multiple times. From your name I'm betting that you're in Texas. If that's true the law is on your side. You do not have to put up with animals that attack your livestock:

http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stustxhealth_s_822_013.htm

Print it out. Give it to your "very close friends" without comment. Perhaps they'll get the idea. If not...

You guys are not being helpful. He's already stated that he is friends with these people and wants to continue to be friends. Try to help him, not give him your prejudices.

An electric fence is a good idea. Do you have access on the other side of your chain link fence? If so, run 2 strands a couple of feet away from your fence, make it as "invisible" as possible. He (the dog) won't be expecting it so it won't be hard, just don't put flags or anything. As he runs to your fence to start digging he will hit the electric fence and think god got him.
A friend of mine had goats and she ran a one strand electric fence using the fiberglas short posts around her yard to keep them in. I visited her just after she had put it up, I had my dog with me, didn't even think about Lisa hitting it. She jumped out of my car and went to see the goats, hit that fence, yelped and took off like a bat out of H. My friend was way out in the country and I spent the next 4 hours going to every neighbor in a 4 mile radius looking for my dog and leaving notes. I got her back the next day when someone over a mile away called me. It was years before she would get out of the car at my friends house. She was a weim.

Back
Top Bottom