Keeping ducks drinking water clean......how?

Help, lol! I have started a new flock and have 6 chicks, 6 guineas, 2 ducks, and a turkey on my back porch in a brooding box now. The watering system is NOT working, lol. I know I can use nipples for chicks, turkeys, and guineas but what about the ducks? Can you post some pictures of what setup you guys use? Thanks a ton!

Last edited:
They always turn their water into mud. The only way I have overcome this is I made a duck pond with a recirculating setup. There is a pond with some plants in it (enough room to swim) and then I pump the water into 2 tubs of plants. The plants remove all the mud and soil out of the water and the water then flows out of holes near the tops of these 2 plant tubs and goes back into the pond. The recirculated water is almost crystal clear.

Is a large contraption but it creates clean water and the mud is good food for the plants.

Besides this idea, I can't think of one. Nipple setups don't work for ducks because ducks like to chew on stuff and shake their heads while they drink/eat.

Last edited:
I have two "quackers", Ritz and Triscuit and a turkey poult, McStuffin. All three are babies, although McStuffin is older by a couple-three weeks or so.
I started housing McStuffin with the quackers, because he or she (straight run, so unknown sex) is frantic when being left alone (when I'm around, McStuffin is glued to me, preferring to perch on my shoulder!
wink.png
)
I took a one-gallon clear water jug and cut a long oval opening in it about four-five inches up from the bottom and covered the opening edges with duct tape to protect from the sharp edges of the plastic. The three can drink from it, but not poop in it or get inside, however, due to the eating habits of the quackers, the water still becomes horribly contaminated. I'm worried that McStuffin could become ill from the mucky water...and the mucky bedding from the ducks (they are unbelievably messy!!!!!)
I'm housing the three indoors in a plastic bin, with their food and a heat source and the water setup...with a thick layer of newspaper and homemade newspaper "shavings" on the bottom. This worked well, when used for my chickens and for McStuffin, before this duck situation! At least I can just roll up the newspaper with all the muck inside and give the bin a good wash, but I need to figure something else for bedding and water before it's safe for them to be moved outside!
I could use the chicken nipples for McStuffin, but I have a feeling he or she would end up following habit and quackers and still drink out of my homemade water set up...heavy sigh!
Ideas?

I made a duck waterer from a 5 gallon bucket. I cut openings for them to place their heads inside to drink. I have a float valve to maintain the water level. I feed it by gravity from a 5 gallon jug. I plan on a bigger supply container in the future. My first attempts were using a vacuum feed supply. The water level changed within a couple inches. The vacuum was so strong it would crush the supply jug. The float valve keeps the water within about a 1/2". . There is a rubber stopper on the side of the bucket at the absolute bottom. I pop out the stopper to release the dirty water every evening. I put the stopper in and the bucket refills itself. The bucket sits on a grate in a tray that drains to the outdoors. I keep my chickens and ducks in the same coop. The ducks also drink from the chickens nipple system.
BRILLIANT!!

I am building an elevated pool for my ducks and was wondering if there is anything a could use that would clean the ducks feet as they walked up it.

What an idea! If the ramp is not at all steep (which is a really good idea), you could cover it with some kind of soft outdoor carpeting that can be hosed off from time to time. I may steal your idea.

I dont know...but they peck the living crap out of it

....because nipple waterers are designed for chickens, not ducks.

No duck can get enough water from a chick nipple set-up to safely help it swallow food, wash it's eyes, or clear it's nares - all three of which are necessary for duck health.

They need an appropriate water.... Aritchey has a great idea posted above.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom