Keeping Fish

I think that sometimes male betas just like to blow bubbles. I would watch the females to see if she starts showing a belly full of eggs before I tried her with a male.

To the betta experts: How do I tell the specific cause for my new male betta's curled fins? The edges of his fin are rolled up a bit, and his ventral fins are curled up. I know there can be different causes, like lack of space, bad water quality, bad genetics, fin rot, etc. but is there any way to tell the specific cause? I can always wait it out, but I don't want continuous waiting to delay my breeding plan in the future(especially if I'm waiting on something that will never change).

Monroe wasn't feeling good with the tank changes(nitrite/nitrate spikes, Orlando moving in and out for treatment). His bubble nest was destroyed. Now that the temp. is stabilized, he sees a female and all the fish are settled, he got back to work. It's not magnificent, but you gotta give them some credit... They're just tiny little creatures working hard to provide for the next generation:p  
I think Diana was referring to keeping each betta in a tank with other, peaceful fish. You keep guppies, right? Maybe you can try housing bettas in there(females can be together, males individually of course). Just don't forget not to overcrowd;)

My male guppy was pretty much torn to shreds by my bettas. I will not make the mistake again. Guppies are neither fast nor short-tailed, and are probably some of the worst fish to keep with bettas. I'd see no need to keep the bettas with my gups, as they are not social creatures anyway. Thank you for the clarification though! ;)

Regards,
Leaf

*I don't mean to sound harsh at all. I may have come across this way, I just felt that I needed to give proper warning to those who try keeping bettas with guppies. Nothing against you DianaCatz, or Shelly! :hugs *

To the betta experts: How do I tell the specific cause for my new male betta's curled fins? The edges of his fin are rolled up a bit, and his ventral fins are curled up. I know there can be different causes, like lack of space, bad water quality, bad genetics, fin rot, etc. but is there any way to tell the specific cause? I can always wait it out, but I don't want continuous waiting to delay my breeding plan in the future(especially if I'm waiting on something that will never change). 

What are your water conditions? This happens with other fish occasionally. It may progress to a point where the fish can no longer swim, but it may resolve itself. Is there a picture we could see?

Regards,
Leaf

The water conditions are the same as before(you can go back a page or two to see my post). I can find it and re-state it if you like.
I should've elaborated; it's the new boy who has it, and he just got introduced into the tank. It's possible that the previous water conditions in his cup were terrible, I'm just wondering what he has and if/how I can fix it. And I'll be sure not to keep bettas and guppies together, which I was considering... close one!

The water conditions are the same as before(you can go back a page or two to see my post). I can find it and re-state it if you like. 
I should've elaborated; it's the new boy who has it, and he just got introduced into the tank. It's possible that the previous water conditions in his cup were terrible, I'm just wondering what he has and if/how I can fix it. And I'll be sure not to keep bettas and guppies together, which I was considering... close one!

Just glad you didn't lose a fish, I'm happy to help. Anyway, it was most probably the conditions in the cup. I saw the water conditions from a couple of pages back and they seemed okay, if they were precise, or at least not bad enough to cause fin rot. If you look up fin rot in Bettas, plenty comes up. I also would order Lifeguard, a fish medication that helps with the rot. Good luck!

Regards,
Leaf

Back
Top Bottom