Keeping Fish

I love the pond jak! It's smart that you decided to put plakats in a community, they are designed to have almost nip-proof fins, and are quick in case they are bothered(fighting qualities, but in this case benefit them in the sense of nipping due to tank mates). The fish are beautiful!

I have about 10 Beta fish in this small pond I made.. males and females... they seem to have enough space to not tight.. they all get together at feeding time.. but after that they go to their own areas.. guess they have sorted out some kind of pecking order.

They share the pond with sword tails, platys, mollies, and Siamese algae eaters.

I love the pond too. It is very nice with clear water and plants.

Are the plants native to your area?

I have ponds also. But I am restricted to cold water fish. I have some native plants but most are dormant this time of year.

Wow, the water ain't heated? I thought mollies and platys were tropical, but, then again, I also keep some in a pond, much warmer here though. Maybe I'll add some betas! Beautiful! Indoors though, I'm having a fish tuberculosis outbreak. Either that or another mouth tumor disease. I am so upset after losing several fish to this. I wonder if the chocolate set this off, as they were all fine even with various sizes tumours, most growing every day.

I read that petco king bettas are just large plakats. Does this mean that they have the same breeding habits as the rest of the bettas at the store? It would be nice to get one eventually, but I wouldn't want it hurting the other future fsh of mine. Also plakat is a recessive trait; does this mean that a "king" bred with, say a veil tail(small), will produce small offspring?

He lives in Thailand, I think it's pretty warm there, you have a lot of trouble with your fish.

I know. I think this last ick outbreak may have been a misdiagnosis. I believe the problem was these tumors, which hadn't been nearly as prominent as before. I have added some fungal tablets to the water after finding a few fish dead and one dying. It has been a hard year so far for our tanks. We have no guppy or Molly fry to sell, except for four or five iffy fry, and my adult fish are dropping like flies. My turtle pond seems unaffected, but I used a net in their a few days ago which is usually used in my small hobby tank, which is infected. I truly hope nothing transferred. I'm worried now and will have to check the pond as soon as possible tomorrow. I need to feed the koi and Goldies anyway, and check on the turtles after the rains we had. Good luck with your fish Shelly!

Thanks
smile.png

I love the pond too. It is very nice with clear water and plants.

Are the plants native to your area?

I have ponds also. But I am restricted to cold water fish. I have some native plants but most are dormant this time of year.
I am not sure if they plants are true natives here.. but the ones growing out of the water are grown a lot here in peoples gardens... I think the English name Pandanus.

The leave are used a lot in cooking... we wrap up chicken pieces in the leaves and put them on the grill. Also we bunch up the leaves and boil them in water.. once the water is cool we throw out the leavea and drink the water.. its like a very mild herbal taste and its surposed to be good for your health.. plus it tastes nice.

I think they also use the leave to get a green dye from... and use the dye when they makes Thai jelly or sweets.

The other plants under the water are mostly Java fern and Amazon Swords.

I have a bucket filter on the side.. the water stays really clear.. but I get sediment build up on the bottom of the pond that's a pain to get out.

I am not sure if they plants are true natives here.. but the ones growing out of the water are grown a lot here in peoples gardens... I think the English name Pandanus.

The leave are used a lot in cooking... we wrap up chicken pieces in the leaves and put them on the grill. Also we bunch up the leaves and boil them in water.. once the water is cool we throw out the leavea and drink the water.. its like a very mild herbal taste and its surposed to be good for your health.. plus it tastes nice.

I think they also use the leave to get a green dye from... and use the dye when they makes Thai jelly or sweets.

The other plants under the water are mostly Java fern and Amazon Swords.

I have a bucket filter on the side.. the water stays really clear.. but I get sediment build up on the bottom of the pond that's a pain to get out.

I was just curious about the plants because I am trying to use all native plants in my ponds. I can get bog plants and floating plants but the ones that grow under deeper water I can't find.

I may have to travel a few miles north and find some native Cabomba.

I was just curious about the plants because I am trying to use all native plants in my ponds. I can get bog plants and floating plants but the ones that grow under deeper water I can't find.

I may have to travel a few miles north and find some native Cabomba.
Good idea.

To grow underwater plants successfully in a pond the water needs to be low in nutrients. Too many nutrients will cause algae to grown and it smothers the underwater plants so they die off.

Most times, if you have fish and are feeding the fish.. there will be too many nutrients in the water from uneaten food and fish poop.

Its best to grow the plants in a pond with either no fish, or very few small ones. And don't feed the fish.. let the fish get natural food from insects that fall into the water and pond bugs, plants, etc.

Back
Top Bottom