Keeping Fish

I've had this fish for awhile now, but I'm not sure what he is. Or maybe he's a She! Anybody know?

Platy. I would say male. They are live bearers and great little community fish.

Regards,
Leaf

S/he moves her fin in a rippling way, meaning when s/he swims, he fin ripples.

What do you think of this tank for a betta? I put Huckleberry in here. I'm not sure what the plant is I only know it used to be in my axolotls tank before I put a bigger plant in there. Do you think it's to small?

Also, anybody keep sharks? I used to have one, but he passed away and I'm thinking on getting another.

I have a shark. By shark I am assuming you mean the small freshwater fish, not a true shark. They are schoolers and he technically shouldn't be alone, but when he passes I won't be replacing him. He's a nice fish to keep in the tank if a bit boring. I used to have a shark with yellow fins....but now I'm left with one with red fins. I'd never seen a yellow-finned one before.

Regards,
Leaf

Actually, looking at the pic closer, he seems to have a more rounded belly. So I'm on the fence with genders. If you'd like to see some female molly pics, much more obvious with mollies, I can post them. I stocked up on nice live bearers today. I have two guppy fry and a Molly which will soon reach maturity, the Molly and possibly the guppies from my own stock. I'll be interested to see the results of my selective breeding after such a bad year raising fry.

Regards,
Leaf

Edited because of spellcheck.

Last edited:
How is everyone this fine evening? Checking on the fish as soon as possible. I got a few new additions yesterday, a few mollies, a nice guppy, and some feeders for the turtles and garter snake. My breeder mollies suddenly have torn fins, not bitten, more like they were sliced with a knife. I'm suspecting the shrimp until further investigation and they will be removed from the tank. Maybe relocated with the feeders and the blind turtle. There are already couple in there. I'm surprised. :/

Regards,
Leaf

I have a shark. By shark I am assuming you mean the small freshwater fish, not a true shark. They are schoolers and he technically shouldn't be alone, but when he passes I won't be replacing him. He's a nice fish to keep in the tank if a bit boring. I used to have a shark with yellow fins....but now I'm left with one with red fins. I'd never seen a yellow-finned one before.

Regards,
Leaf

Actually I'm talking about sharks that get about 2 ft long. I'm not sure the name. I'm not talking about barbs, though they are pretty
1f60b.png

Today I have purchased a pufferfish (whom I call Richard the Kisser) because he "kisses" all the other fish on their mouths!? Is this normal? He's such a silly guy :) a real charmer and ladies man
1f602.png
I also got a large tiger snail. She's quite fast for a snail
1f606.png

Actually I'm talking about sharks that get about 2 ft long. I'm not sure the name. I'm not talking about barbs, though they are pretty
1f60b.png

Today I have purchased a pufferfish (whom I call Richard the Kisser) because he "kisses" all the other fish on their mouths!? Is this normal? He's such a silly guy
smile.png
a real charmer and ladies man
1f602.png
1f606.png

It is a Columbian shark? Or a Bala Shark?

Puffer fish can nip other fish so watch out.

1f60b.png

Today I have purchased a pufferfish (whom I call Richard the Kisser) because he "kisses" all the other fish on their mouths!? Is this normal? He's such a silly guy :) a real charmer and ladies man
1f602.png
1f606.png

Puffer fish "kissing" is a sign of aggression. They should not be kept with other fish.

Regards,
Leaf

Back
Top Bottom