Keeping Isolated Duck clean

J-mama

In the Brooder
Nov 29, 2018
Gainesville, FL
I have a duck who was attacked by a dog. He had a pretty significant wound behind his leg and a couple other less major punctures. This happened Sunday. Since then, I have been doing warm baths, wound cleaning and applying Vetricyn and antibiotic ointment. It got a little chilly here to put him outside in a crate in the coop (he has a brother to whom he is attached and bonded, want to keep them together), so I brought them inside and keeping them in a dog crate. The wounds are healing great, to the best of my knowledge, but they muck up the crate so bad that I’m not sure it is the best environment? Currently I have them in the crate w no plastic tray and a towel underneath the crate so they arent walking & laying in their poo. I need some tips on how to isolate him and keep his space clean. I have pets in the house and no extra actual room to let them stay out (small house). I think I have a good handle on his wounds and they are better every day. Just cant seem to keep his area clean while isolating.

You could take him out once a day to clean out his crate and you could insert a plastic tray that slides in and out with straw on top and you could slide out the tray and change his straw and clean out the poop easily.

Hello. I actually would put them back out and use pine shavings in the house they use outside. Ducks heal quickly and the more he moves around he will heal. Your in Florida so I'm thinking it's not cold to a Duck.
I have heard about needing to keep them clean and warm to help them heal. And to avoid flies as they will lay eggs in the wound. He is limping pretty good and I wasnt sure if rest would be better than him trying to keep up with his buddy. The wound is just behind his leg on the lower side. It’s closing up pretty well but still has an open area or two. It should be warmer tomorrow/this weekend, also.

I did put him back outside. I cleaned out the coop and laid new pine chips. Keeping food and water readily available, as usual. He’s limping pretty good, but. O worse than usual. Thank you for asking!

Back
Top Bottom