Keeping membrane from drying?

WolfLady

Chirping
Jun 14, 2020
Quebec (Canada)
Hi! Since my current hatch seems to struggle a bit and that I may have to assist more than usual, what can I use to keep membrane from drying? I often see coconut oil, neosporin and vaseline being recommended, but I sadly don't have any of those and I live in the middle of nowhere without a car.

I have (some suggestion may be weird, but I figured why not listing just in case):
- Aloe vera gel
- Vegetable shortening
- Margarine
- Sunflower oil
- Lip Smacker flavored lipbalm
- Liveclean Coconut Milk Body Lotion

Hi! Since my current hatch seems to struggle a bit and that I may have to assist more than usual, what can I use to keep membrane from drying? I often see coconut oil, neosporin and vaseline being recommended, but I sadly don't have any of those and I live in the middle of nowhere without a car.

I have (some suggestion may be weird, but I figured why not listing just in case):
- Aloe vera gel
- Vegetable shortening
- Margarine
- Sunflower oil
- Lip Smacker flavored lipbalm
- Liveclean Coconut Milk Body Lotion
If I've not got anything else, water and watching. Be careful not to use too much (meaning don't drown the chick). I just use a q-tip to apply.

It'll dry, but if there's nothing else it works for seeing veins.

If I've not got anything else, water and watching. Be careful not to use too much (meaning don't drown the chick). I just use a q-tip to apply.

It'll dry, but if there's nothing else it works for seeing veins.
Hi! Thank you for the tip, thought I want to keep the membrane from drying when I have to remove some part of the shell when assisting, rather than really to see veins.

Sunflower oil is a very good option, it's a light oil, easily absorbed by the membrane and will enable you to see through that membrane to determine when the blood supply (veins) have dried up within the membrane; making it safer to remove it without causing damage to the chick.

Back
Top Bottom