Keeping my chicks safe

Are my chicks safe?

• Total voters

delmy

Hatching
Jul 23, 2017
Okay so, recently we had a raccoon attack. We had 8 chicks and i turkey. Not big, the chicks were medium sized still having feathers. The turkey was still developing. But the chicken house wasn't so secure. The raccoon had, killed or ate them 6 of them including the turkey sadly... but two were left. We secured the house a bit more and left the rest, 2 , in the house. But the next day they were gone, and there was blood on the floor.
We recently bought 7 baby chicks. We secured the house as much as we could, we have a plastic fence around the house. The house has around 4-5 locks. And we have think wire, with many small squared, the door has, 2 layers of thick wires. And small windows with the same wire we had on the deceased chicks, but 2 layers too, and we nailed a lot of nails inside. We also have a small light inside the house in order to keep them warm. Are my chicks safe? Please include any details, I dont wanna go through the sadness of them all being killed. I cant afford an electric fence. What are somethings i can use in order to scare the raccoon away?

You should be ok then. Have you pulled on the wire to see how strong it is? If it doesn't seem like it'll budge then it's should be fine

Its extremely hard to pull apart, but so was the last one. Do you think the 2 layers protect it even more? Would the light inside the house scare away the raccoon? We were able to get rid of the raccoon also, but they're other raccoons out there also

nails or staples? Best to use heavy staples on that stuff, or use washers with nails/screws.

single-barbed-staples.jpg

Back
Top Bottom