1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Keeping my chicks safe

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by delmy, Jul 23, 2017.

1. No! They'll die soon.

66.7%
  2. Stop worrying! Everything will be okay.

33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. delmy

delmy Hatching

Jul 23, 2017
    Okay so, recently we had a raccoon attack. We had 8 chicks and i turkey. Not big, the chicks were medium sized still having feathers. The turkey was still developing. But the chicken house wasn't so secure. The raccoon had, killed or ate them 6 of them including the turkey sadly... but two were left. We secured the house a bit more and left the rest, 2 , in the house. But the next day they were gone, and there was blood on the floor.
    We recently bought 7 baby chicks. We secured the house as much as we could, we have a plastic fence around the house. The house has around 4-5 locks. And we have think wire, with many small squared, the door has, 2 layers of thick wires. And small windows with the same wire we had on the deceased chicks, but 2 layers too, and we nailed a lot of nails inside. We also have a small light inside the house in order to keep them warm. Are my chicks safe? Please include any details, I dont wanna go through the sadness of them all being killed. I cant afford an electric fence. What are somethings i can use in order to scare the raccoon away?

2. What size is the wire? Raccoons can pull birds through chicken wire, so you'd need something smaller

3. delmy

delmy Hatching

Jul 23, 2017
    The distance of the inside of the square is 1/2 an inch, the holes are small

4. Do you know how the raccoon got in, in the first place?

5. delmy

delmy Hatching

Jul 23, 2017
    The raccoon had pulled apart the weak wire we had before, we bought a stronger one, and put double layers in the door and windows.

6. You should be ok then. Have you pulled on the wire to see how strong it is? If it doesn't seem like it'll budge then it's should be fine

7. delmy

delmy Hatching

Jul 23, 2017
    Its extremely hard to pull apart, but so was the last one. Do you think the 2 layers protect it even more? Would the light inside the house scare away the raccoon? We were able to get rid of the raccoon also, but they're other raccoons out there also

8. HenOnAJuneBug

HenOnAJuneBug Crowing

May 20, 2015
    How do you have the 1/2" wire cloth fastened to the wood?

9. delmy

delmy Hatching

Jul 23, 2017
    The 1/2'' wire is fastened by a bunch of nails we drilled on the wire through the wood

10. HenOnAJuneBug

HenOnAJuneBug Crowing

May 20, 2015
    nails or staples? Best to use heavy staples on that stuff, or use washers with nails/screws.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: