Keeping Roosters Together??

Pixco

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 24, 2008
Berkshire County, Massachusett
Hello, I know it is unlikely to keep more than one rooster in with hens but am wondering if you can keep roosters together if they are separated from the hens. I am thinking of getting a few breeds each with a few hens and one rooster just to play a bit raising some in the spring. Any advice would be appreciated.

That mostly depends on the breed. Some of the game breeds won't get along if there are hens or not. On the other hand, with some breeds several roosters can be put in with the hens. There will end up being a dominant rooster but if they have enough space they won't hurt each other and will provide some very funny entertainment. Make sure they are raised together or are introduced to each other with lots of moving around space, so the weaker rooster can get away.

I HAVE 8 OR 9 ROOSTERS RUNNING TOGETHER WITH HENS HARDLY ANY PROBLEMS, THE OCASIONAL FIGHT BUT FOR THE MOST PART ALL GET ALONG.

Last edited:
Thanks, this has all been helpful. I am leaning towards, Buff Orpingtons, Giant Blue Cochin, Golden Laced Wyandottes, Light Brahma, and Ameraucana for breeds at this point. From the reading I have done they are all fairly quiet breeds so hopefully will work fine.

Back
Top Bottom