Keeping the water clean

El Federico

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 27, 2011
Hey, guys. So I have a waterer for our chickens, and it looks kinda like this (don't they ALL resemble this?lol):
chicken-waterer.jpg

Problem is, the water gets dirty.How can I keep it clean? Any suggestions?
smile.png

Edit: I'm terribly sorry. I think I posted it in the wrong place. Can someone please move it? Thanks.

Last edited:
:lol:Ya , stop using that kind of waterer. As soon as the chicks hit 3- 4 weeks old, I cut a window about 2 inches above the bottom of a cat liter bucket. They have to reach in to drink, and cant poop in their own water. The chix have to be old enough not to drown, a big danger. Other wise use nipple drinkers on the bottom of just about anything plastic, like a milk jug, and hang it in a coop at the right level by a light rope. Makes a BIG diference on clean water. My tractor coops have 5 gallon pails, plumbed with garden hose to 3/4 inch pvc pipe with 4 drinkers on each for the coop, about 15 birds. The 5 gallon is really about 4 because I fill daily, but the birds can go about 3 days in mild weather.

big_smile.png
Thanks, mate. Always wanted to replace my waterer. I already went through four of those things 'cause the dishes break when the chickens run around in their pen and trample them (they no longer chase each other since I put the roosters in a different enclosure). Thanks again.
smile.png

I have a really big gravity feed waterer, I just set it up as high as their beaks. it keeps the feet and litter out of it.
I have heard that apple cider vinegar will keep the algae out of it, but my husband is too sceptical to give it a try. I am going to do it this summer anyway. Do a search to see how much per gallon. it isn't much, but i do not know it off hand.

I use different sizes of that style for the ducks and chickens, the chickens have theirs up on blocks (3, 12inx12in paver stones) and the ducks get theirs up on a wooden frame covered in rabbit wire with a plastic tub under it to catch the waste water they throw around.

Everyone starts out on the mini size chick one, flat on the ground. As they grow up, they get ever higher and larger.

Wow, thanks for all your help guys.
big_smile.png

I just replaced the waterer with a bucket with an open top. Would that be ok?

Back
Top Bottom