Keeping uncovered outdoor run clean

Thanks everyone! I'm not sure I can find a source of aged woodchips... Would pine mulch do the trick? Most of the garden centers around here have that in bulk.
Where is here? I have heard tree services can often be counted on to deliver wood chips for free. I have a huge supply of leaves, grass clippings, garden waste. So, I didn't go that route.``

Mulch is OK if it's well aged and not dyed.

Tree services will often be wiling to give you chips for free -- the catch being that you have to take the whole truckload and you'll need to let them age. I've got a pile in the corner of my property right now that's ready and if we need more tree work this summer we'll have them make a new pile instead of putting fresh on top of the stuff that's ready.

Mulch is OK if it's well aged and not dyed.

Tree services will often be wiling to give you chips for free -- the catch being that you have to take the whole truckload and you'll need to let them age. I've got a pile in the corner of my property right now that's ready and if we need more tree work this summer we'll have them make a new pile instead of putting fresh on top of the stuff that's ready.

Yep, I can probably find wood chips through a tree service, but the aging is the issue - need something now, and don't have a whole lot of storage space. :/ I assume it has to age for a year or so to work well?

Yep, I can probably find wood chips through a tree service, but the aging is the issue - need something now, and don't have a whole lot of storage space. :/ I assume it has to age for a year or so to work well?

If it's needed right away, do very thin layers of chips, skimmed off the surface of the pile (as those will dry out the fastest) and build up layers over time. Like maybe a thin layer every 2-4 weeks or so. So it won't instantly fix your issues, but you should start to see some improvement.

I'd age at least 6 months but some people do less. If you get to around 6 months, and still need to build up layers, you can go a little thicker with layers at that point.

I don't know if it has to be that long, but so they aren't green, fresh, and wet anymore.

You can start with shavings, straw, pine straw, leaves, etc.

Back
Top Bottom