keeping up coturnix feather condition?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by syble, Sep 1, 2011.

1. syble

syble Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    michigan
    How does one keep up feather condition in coturnix? MY adult breeders are housed on wire, not crowded, the juveniles, are on a solid floor with shavings, and not exactly spacious... the juvies(which are 9 weeks now) have great feathers, regardless of the whole 50/50 male female split and all the matting and what not... the breeders kept in quads, look a bit rough. The only difference i can see is that the adults don't have a dust bath or anything like that, where as the juvies are constantly fluffing in the shavings... is that the key!?

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Dust Bath + Your Adult Breeders In Quads... Thats Alot Of Roo For 3 Hens. May Wanna Increase His Harem Size So All That Lil Hunka Burnin Love Can Be Spread Around A Lil More. Kind Of Like The Old Saying "grass Doesnt Grow On A Well Used Path? "

3. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I would provide them with a tub full of sand birds like to bathe in sand. It helps them in many ways.

4. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    Quote:X2 ... Happy Birds Happy Feathers? mine are molting right now too, look rougher.

5. syble

syble Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    michigan
    when i get bigger pens i'll be keeping more hens per roo but right now the cages are too small for anything other then a quad... the thing i find funny is the juvi pen is 11 males and 7 females i think? hows that for bad ratio, but yet they have nice feathers lol

6. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Yes But As Juvenile They May Have Newer Feathers Than Ole Mom And Dad... Depending On The Molt And When It Happens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by