Help- Adult Female Suddenly Can’t Walk

The same way you would take vitamins or an antibiotic pill. Stick it in her mouth and she will swallow. One at a time. Chickens have no problem lettin a pill slide down their throat.

Vitamin E 400iu one whole capsule a day
B-complex break a pill in half and give her the half once a day
Calcium citrate one whole pill a day
These are all the same vitamins you would take

The amoxicillin is 250 mg capsule per day for ten days
She’s a quail- I think most pills would be too big for her.

Thanks for reminding me. She's one of a couple of quail I'm trying to help at the moment, but it slips my mind when I am talking about doses.

It makes sense to halve all the above dosing for a quail patient.

Vet says it’s probably either a nerve issue, abdominal mass on left side, stroke, sprain or soft tissue injury, but I can’t bring her in to check which because I don’t have the money. How can I figure out what’s wrong so I can help her?

There isn't any way to know what's behind a leg issue with X-rays. I'm in that boat myself, and am treating my young chicken for a leg proplem I have not idea what is causing it.

You might take a look at my thread and see how I'm dealing with it. My pullet seems to be getting better. It's been not quite two weeks since she went lame. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/five-month-old-australorp-suddenly-lame.1432738/

Heat and aspirin and vitamins seem to be what are helping.

I think her right knee is swollen on further examination. First pic is her normal left knee for comparison. What would do this, and how can I help?

Attachments

• EE28A912-93A0-447C-A750-A4041DCAE43C.jpeg
    EE28A912-93A0-447C-A750-A4041DCAE43C.jpeg
    453.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 1B93A9A5-E8B2-4EFE-9A7C-3E4B2D4CFB6D.jpeg
    1B93A9A5-E8B2-4EFE-9A7C-3E4B2D4CFB6D.jpeg
    517.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 25C2F4BE-B277-492C-BBBE-6F813C141513.jpeg
    25C2F4BE-B277-492C-BBBE-6F813C141513.jpeg
    420.7 KB · Views: 5
Have you been following my thread I linked to in #24 ? There are some new developments and I have a tentative diagnosis of Mycoplasma synoviae.

It's hard to tell what causes these leg issues when they crop up. It can be a fracture, tendon dislocation or strain, or a bacterial infection such as Mycoplasma. This is why I've been throwing every single treatment at my patients' leg problems, because I'm in the same boat you are - not having any vet services to do Xrays and blood tests. You and I can only make guesses after trying to rule out as many things as possible.

Look over my thread and there may be something in it that you can connect to your own case.

Back
Top Bottom